Team Technician Lead, Developer Experience at Stitch Fix
Team Tech Lead, Developer Experience
Location: Remote – USA
Our team is made up of people from varied backgrounds, including engineers who built and scaled organizations like Google, Netflix, eBay, GitHub, and LivingSocial. We build modern software with modern techniques like TDD, continuous delivery, DevOps, and service-oriented architecture. Cross-functional partnerships are deeply meaningful to us and are how we’ve built up immense trust with the people running the business. We focus on high-value products that solve clearly identified problems but are designed in a sustainable way so that value continues to deliver in the long term. In fact, some of our proudest moments come from solving business problems without writing a line of code.
We prioritize fast iteration without compromising quality while maintaining an attention to detail that creates the personalization Stitch Fix is known for. We are a distributed team that collaborates & pair-programs across 4 time-zones, and we love building relationships that enable everyone to learn & ask questions. With a strong focus on growth and personal development, Stitch Fix is the ideal place to develop your skills in an environment that is built on mutual trust and respect.
About the Role
You will deliver products and solutions not just features by developing an understanding of how Stitch Fix works. We trust you to focus your time and efforts where they are needed most. Your commitment to applying technology to business challenges in clean & innovative ways will make you a trusted advisor to your partners and their teams. You will own projects and influence our direction.
Stitch Fix’s Developer Experience team is looking for a highly influential, mindful, empathetic, and self-aware team tech lead to join our team to help us move thinking forward. This team is part of our core platform organization and is focused on reducing the friction experienced by our fellow engineers and increasing their happiness and productivity by creating tools and processes that our engineers love to apply for the problems they’re solving. Success on this team requires both a deep understanding of the challenges of writing modern software and a high degree of empathy for other engineers. On a day to day basis, success would mean building relationships and understanding of Stitch Fix engineers and engineering and identifying key pain points and bottleneck areas to reduce friction our Stitch Fix developers face.
About the Technology
Technologies we rely on to pursue solutions to business problems include:
- Ruby and Rails
- Angular and React
Even if you already have experience with these tools, you’ll have the chance to get even better with them. And if you don’t already use these tools, we will help you learn and become effective with them.
You’re excited about this opportunity because…
- You are extremely empathetic and care about positively impacting the organization by helping other engineers get their jobs done more easily
- You recognize that reducing engineering friction has a direct impact on the business, from time to market to the next Stitch Fix innovation
- You’re extremely collaborative and seek connections across the org to further the cause of the developer experience team
- We work collaboratively as a distributed team we are a primarily remote team and we use GitHub, Slack, and video conferencing extensively to collaborate.
- You will have the opportunity to participate in creating prototypes and exploring alternative designs we value pull requests, one-pagers, and screencasts to develop rapid prototypes that demonstrate new features.
- Our workflow depends on testing and CI we’re working with the usual Ruby gems like Rspec, Capybara and others for unit and feature tests and use CircleCI to bring it all together.
- We have a distributed, service-oriented architecture we’re using tools like RabbitMQ, ElasticSearch, and headless HTTP services to scale our team and software.
- We use these tools and techniques help us get the job done and we’re excited to share our expertise with new members of the team. You will have the opportunity to help us continue to adopt effective practices and technologies and explore their full potential.
We are excited about you because…
- You are enthusiastic about technology. You will collaborate to build solutions using the appropriate tools and contribute to design and architecture across multiple systems. You want to build on your experience and help us to adopt new technologies. You’ll learn from us, and we’ll learn from you. You care deeply about the experience you are delivering.
- You have a product-focused mindset. Our team works together to deliver projects that use technology to solve real business problems. Your team members and business partners will seek out your opinion on how the product you’re building should work. You aren’t afraid to dig deep and ask the tough questions of our customers, company, and executive team.
- You are interested in developing your leadership qualities. You should believe in what you’re doing and inspire others around you to be their best selves? Do you feel ownership for the projects you are working on?
- You have deep respect for your craft. We are dedicated to building software sustainably, using modern techniques. You’re always looking for more and better ways to write software, and enthusiastic about sharing them with your team.
- You are respectful, empathetic, and humble. We want you to take your work seriously and be open to personal and professional growth. Successful engineers show everyone respect and consideration.
You’ll love working at Stitch Fix because we…
- Are a successful, vibrant, fast-growing company
- Are a technologically and data-driven business.
- Are at the forefront of tech and fashion, redefining shopping for the next generation.
- Are passionate about our clients and live/breathe the client experience.
- Get to be creative every day.
- Have a smart, experienced, and diverse leadership team that wants to do it right & is open to new ideas.
- Believe in autonomy & taking initiative.
- Have sunny offices in downtown San Francisco, CA, Austin, TX and Pittsburgh, PA, or your home 🙂
- Full support for remote work and you get to connect with your peers and partners every few months.
- Offer transparent, equitable, and competitive compensation based on your level to help eliminate bias in salaries, as well as equity and comprehensive health benefits.
- Are serious about our commitment to life-work balance, and have generous parental leave policies.
About Stitch Fix
At Stitch Fix, we’re about personal styling for everybody and we believe in both a service and a workplace where you can be your best, most authentic self. We’re the first fashion retailer to combine technology and data science with the human instinct of a Stylist to deliver a deeply personalized shopping experience. This novel juxtaposition attracts an extraordinary collection of talented people who are both thinkers and doers. All of this results in a simple, powerful offering to our customers and a successful, growing business serving millions of men, women, and kids. We believe we are only scratching the surface on our opportunity, and we’re looking for incredible people like you to help us carry on that trend.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!