Team Leader-Workers’ Compensation-Claims Plus – 1902154
The purpose of the Team Lead position is to ensure that a high level of functional expertise and policyholder service is practiced in claim adjudication within the team/unit. The Supervisor will lead a team of Worker’s Compensation Claims plus Representatives by aligning and managing the employees and other resources in order to achieve Claim Quality, Policyholder Satisfaction and Accurate Compliance. Key responsibilities include:
- Manage and direct claim investigation, disposition and settlement, in compliance with corporate claim settlement policies and procedures.
- Effectively manage allocated loss costs relative to budget guidelines.
- Fully comply with statutory, regulatory and ethics requirements.
- Effectively communicate and teach a thorough understanding of business vision, strategies and plans for achieving business goals.
- Effectively train, coach and develop staff to enable optimal job performance and the achievement of individual and professional goals.
- Maintain thorough understanding of claim industry trends to assist in the identification of positive and adverse impacts.
- Manage Claim Handlers with corresponding claim inventories.
- Effectively manage and balance work load in terms of equitable claim distribution.
- Utilize various financial reporting tools to monitor and address reserve accuracy and trending.
- Assess claim volume and staffing needs to identify and effectively address staffing gaps and surplus.
- Maintain, effectively communicate and teach a thorough understanding of business vision, strategies and plans for achieving business goals.
- Manage and implement change including explaining drivers and business goals.
- Set high standards for self and others.
- Maintain action-oriented, confident approach to work assignments.
- Stay current on issues impacting personal and/or commercial business including industry and marketplace trends, strategic direction of the organization, organizational structure and leadership, team goals and internal initiatives.
- Use critical thinking skills to gather information, apply sound reasoning, draw appropriate conclusions and make sound decisions based on a mixture of analysis, experience and judgment.
- Effectively hold self and staff accountable for achievement of business results.
- Effectively train, coach and develop staff to enable them to perform their jobs and achieve individual and professional goals.
- Effectively train, coach and develop staff for management succession purposes.
- Evaluate, acknowledge and manage performance through the use of appraisal tools.
- Effectively address and manage performance that does not meet required standards.
- Maintain dedication to meeting expectations and requirements of internal and external customers.
- Obtain first-hand customer information and use it for improvements in products and services.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with customers, gaining their trust and respect.
- Demonstrate diplomacy and tact to effectively avoid or diffuse high-tension situations.
- Negotiate skillfully in tough situations with internal and external groups;
- Set aggressive and realistic expectations for responding and follow through on commitment.
- Always demonstrate professionalism and establish credibility when interacting with customers.
- Personally enhance The Hartford’s reputation in the marketplace.
- Treat all customers with respect and careful attention.
- Clearly explain complex or technical information that is helpful to customers.
Teamwork and Team Building:
- Create and support a team environment that achieves Claims’ Diversity and Inclusion initiatives.
- Build a high performing team with diverse characteristics, where individual differences are valued.
- Build appropriate rapport and constructive and effective relationships with people inside and outside the organization.
- Represent The Hartford as a credible, trustworthy, flexible and dependable resource.
- Demonstrate courtesy, honesty, integrity, respect and competence when interacting with others.
- Embrace leadership role among claim team leaders and handlers and offer advanced expertise to help teammates, solve problems, learn new skills and accomplish goals.
- Consistently act with the highest level of integrity and adhere to general principles of business ethics.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience handling workers’ compensation claims or prior claim leadership experience required.
- Experience in leading and managing all levels of staff relative to experience, tenure and professional development is a plus.
- Strong understanding of reserve accuracy relative to claim exposures.
- Extensive knowledge of customer service drivers and the ability to resolve customer issues, needs and concerns independently.
- Experience with human resource policies and procedures and administration exposure is a plus!
- Strong leadership skills in terms of teaching, guiding, coaching and developing staff is a plus!
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written regardless of audience demographic.
- Strong analytical skills in terms of functional, technical and financial information.
- College degree or equivalent work experience.
- Consistent high level of performance and achievement over career span.
- Demonstrated level of competency.
- There may be future license requirements for Worker’s Compensation depending upon the jurisdiction.
**The preference is for this position to reside in one of our Claims Locations; however, the option for remote work status may be considered for highly qualified candidates.
Job Function: P&C Claim Misc Supt Roles
Primary Location: United States
Job Level: Team Leader
Education Level: High School Diploma/GED (±11 years)
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Overtime Status: Exempt
Remote Worker Option: Yes