Supervising Editor at Spotify
Supervising Editor, Reply All – Gimlet (Remote Eligible – North America)
- CONTENT – GIMLET /
We are a bi-weekly podcast that covers the internet through a mix of ambitious narrative journalism and funny, engaging conversations. We tell stories about everything from the weird and unexplained to the personal to the political, and we’re looking for someone to join our close-knit team as we continue to expand the scope and ambition of our stories.
“Editor” is sometimes used to refer to a person who cuts tape—that’s not the case for this job. The supervising editor will be involved in almost every aspect of a story’s development, guiding it from a wide-ranging conversation in a pitch meeting, to its final form as a polished audio piece. They’ll also be a key vision holder in the show’s leadership team, managing our show’s other editors and helping to make decisions about the future of Reply All.
The ideal candidate for this position is an experienced storyteller with a strong journalism background, capable of leading teams to craft episodes that can be sharp, insightful, moving and whimsical, sometimes all in the same story. This is a job for someone who thinks deeply about narrative structure, loves problem-solving, and enjoys helping others do their best work. We’re a team that relishes trying new experiments, and as a supervising editor, you’ll have the freedom to dive into the stories that interest you alongside a team of producers, hosts and editors eager to follow stories wherever they lead.
What You’ll Do
- Help run pitch meetings and be a sounding board for producers/hosts to develop ideas.
- Help identify exciting outside contributors.
- Guide the show toward ambitious storytelling, helping the team refine big ideas and pushing for the best possible finished product.
- Work with producers, hosts and reporters to prep for interviews.
- Identify what is working in each story and what needs to be restructured or reimagined.
- Write collaboratively with producers, reporters and hosts to get scripts from draft to final language.
- Meet regularly with the show’s editors, and look for opportunities to help them grow in their work.
- Work closely with the Supervising Producer to make sure stories are getting the editorial resources they need.
- Pitch in with the administrative tasks of a small team.
- Collaborate with the other editorial leaders of the show to craft the long-term strategy and vision of Reply All.
What You’ll Bring
- A minimum of 5+ years of journalism or documentary experience; audio experience is a major plus.
- A minimum of 2+ years of editorial experience preferred, but not required; we’ll consider applicants who may have developed editing chops in other roles, including producers and reporters.
- Comfort and proficiency in structuring and editing narrative pieces.
- A shown knack for managing, mentoring, and helping others develop in their careers.
- The ability to build trust with a team, create and maintain healthy boundaries.
- Outstanding communication skills, across the board.
- An ability to jump between projects and contribute meaningful guidance, no matter the context.
- A strong vision for what makes exceptional, ambitious stories sing.
Where You’ll Be
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our band members to find a work mode that is best for them!
- Where in the world? For this role, it can be within the Americas region in which we have a work location.
- Prefer an office to work from home instead? Not a problem! We have plenty of options for your working preferences. Find more information about our Work From Anywhere options here.
This is a full-time role that can be done remotely, but on an East Coast schedule (10am-6pm ET). To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter. In a separate document, send us links to 2-3 pieces of work that you’ve either edited or led production on. Also, in one paragraph, please tell us about one moment in a radio story that you particularly liked and explain what made it special to you.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!