Student Success Lead at Shopify
Title: Student Success Lead – Dev Degree
- Location: Americas
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
The Dev Degree program combines the best of traditional academic education, industry mentorship, and learning by doing, to engage and support undergraduate students in learning developer skills. We are increasing access to careers in technology by providing a 4-year, fully paid and accredited Bachelors degree in Computer Science, in partnership with top-tier universities in Canada.
We are looking for someone to lead our Student Success team. You will be responsible for the long-term engagement and retention of our student population over the course of their four-year work-integrated learning program. Because our undergraduate program is unique in that our students split their time between university campus life and life at Shopify, Canada s largest tech company, you will be charged with finding creative and innovative opportunities to reimagine the future of student support programming.
Working with your team, you will plan and lead programs and events designed to engage and support our students, create systems and process to enable coaching and mentorship, monitor student progress and intervene to keep folks on track. You will partner with our academic, admissions and intern placement leaders to set strategy and ensure overall program success.
If you care about the student experience and would enjoy the challenge of supporting students in an innovative program, let s talk! We would love for you to join us to push boundaries as we deliver the best work-integrated learning education model for computer science.
- Serving as the craft leader for Student Success at Shopify; modelling and socializing best practice for engaging and retaining undergraduate students throughout their four-year journey.
- Mapping the Dev Degree student journey and identifying moments that matter around which to develop programming and process.
- Auditing current Student Success programming and making decisions about where to invest.
- Defining the operational model for our Student Success function, including identifying high-level goals and health metrics.
- Managing a team of Student Success Managers and Specialists who provide 1:1 support to Dev Degree participants and oversee the day-to-day workings of our university partnerships.
- Operating effective programming for participants, including key events and a mentorship program.
- Serving on the leadership team for the Dev Degree program, contributing to strategic planning, decision making and program evaluation.
Requirements for the Role:
- Passion for helping undergraduate students succeed, a strong sense of empathy and understanding their needs.
- Deep expertise in student experience, engagement, support and retention, preferably in a Higher Education setting.
- Familiarity with and interest in issues related to diversifying access to careers in STEM.
- Demonstrated ability to build highly effective teams.A keen eye for what needs to get done operationally and a desire to get it done efficiently.
- The ability to thrive in an environment where experimentation is encouraged and you are confident in creating, executing and championing those experiments.
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills.
- Deep understanding of Computer Science Bachelors degree programs at the university level.
- Prior experience as a developer, educator or familiarity with the software development career pathway.
- Experience managing successful programs that move the needle on Diversity and Inclusion efforts in STEM.
- Working knowledge of applicable regulatory and legal standards related to Higher Education in Canada and/or the United States.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!