Student Math Specialist at Outlier.org
Student Math Specialist
What We Do
Outlier.org (from the co-founder of MasterClass) is reimagining higher education as a resource that is accessible, equitable, and affordable for everyone. We have developed the world’s best online, for-credit university-level courses, taught by some of the most celebrated educators in the world. Our courses employ cinematic content powered by cutting-edge cognitive science to create an immersive, student-friendly learning experience that delivers game-changing student success levels. We are a quickly-growing team working on a dual mission: Increase access to quality college education and dramatically reduce student debt.
Who We Are
Outliers are kind, curious, competent, creative, and resourceful. We are a passionate multidisciplinary team working to increase access to quality education for everyone. We believe in using the scientific method and evidence-based conclusions. We respect intuition and art. We give credit where credit is due. We hold one another to high standards. We value constructive feedback. We love to try new things. We take our work seriously, not ourselves. We work hard and go above-and-beyond to ensure great student outcomes and we strongly believe in taking care of ourselves and making sure we stay healthy to continue to pursue our mission as best we can.
Are you an Outlier?
We are always exploring exceptional talent for our Student Math Specialist roles. During the next couple of months, we will be engaging top talent for possible upcoming opportunities within our Student Success team. We’re looking for a diamond in the rough! This candidate possesses exemplary customer service skills, administrative skills, problem-resolution skills, and has experience managing CRM databases. You possess a keen eye for details and are a self-starter. You will be the students’ main point of contact with the company, and their partner and guide through their educational experience with Outlier. You will support teaching and learning through non-instructional activities (i.e. Slack discussion channel management, time management support, etc.) and supplemental tutoring support.
This role reports to the Director of Student Success and is a remote contract-to-hire position. As a contractor, you will need to have access to a computer, webcam, and a stable internet connection.
What You’ll Do
- Provide Calculus and Statistics Tutoring: effectively communicate difficult concepts in an easy to understand manner
- Send course-related emails including introductory messages, assignment and exam reminders, and weekly updates
- Serve as the main point of contact between students and Outlier
- Articulate workflows and reporting to optimize day-to-day operational efficiency
- Leverage tools and technology to scale communication and outreach
- Organize and facilitate student discussion and study groups
- Respond to student questions regarding course policies, regulations, and operation
- Perform customer service duties, such as acknowledging student feedback, bug reports, and content issues, and passing these on to the appropriate parties at Outlier
- Facilitate student satisfaction and student experience research by assisting in developing, sending, and collecting the results of online surveys
- Answer questions about and aid in the process of course credit pre-approval and transfer
- Be an advocate and a voice for the students’ perspective on the class in communicating with the rest of the company
Who You Are
- A wiz in Calculus and Statistics
- Customer support expert with 1+ years of experience in higher education
- Possess excellent administrative procedures, practices, and time management skills
- Demonstrates exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with individuals and groups at all levels; well-developed problem-solving skills; experience in general office procedures/administrative support, equipment, and database management
- Able to work independently, exercise good judgment and discretion, and maintain confidentiality
- Demonstrates strong attention to organization, detail, and follow-through
- An outgoing, warm personality and enjoys engaging with students
- Excellent communicator across email, social media, phone, and video conference
- Ability to take ownership, but comfortable asking for help when stuck
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Hard-working, with a “no task is too small” attitude
- Proficiency in G Suite, Slack, ZenDesk, and MailChimp
- Experience with SurveyMonkey and TypeForm a plus
- Start-up experience is a plus
- Prior classroom teaching experience in any Math subject a plus
Please note: Outlier.org hopes to recruit and advance qualified minorities, women, LGBTQ, persons with disabilities, and veterans, among otherswe welcome and encourage all applicants. One of Outlier.org’s goals is for our team and culture to reflect the diverse student populations we serve. We remain committed to recognizing the best talent wherever it may be.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer. It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of Outlier not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, caregiver status, unemployment status or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, training, layoff, termination, working conditions, transfer, job assignment, and benefits.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!