Staff Market Researcher at Etsy
Staff Market Researcher
Open to Remote
Category Product, Design, and Research
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect millions of entrepreneurs with millions of buyers around the world. As an Etsy Inc. employee whether a team member of Etsy, Reverb, Depop, or Elo7 you’ll tackle unique, meaningful, and large-scale problems alongside passionate coworkers, all the while making a rewarding impact and Keeping Commerce Human.
What’s the role?
We are looking for a Staff Market Researcher who can influence marketing decision-making by connecting the dots between macro forces, customer needs, and Etsy’s business goals. You’ll work closely with marketing teams and alongside other researchers and data scientists to deliver actionable insights that will craft the future of human commerce on Etsy.
You know how to conduct professional-quality market research, incorporating both qualitative and quantitative methods. You approach your work with a genuine sense of curiosity and empathy, and you’re willing to challenge conventional wisdom to find the right answer!
This is a full-time position reporting to the Director of Market Research. For this role, we are considering candidates based in the U.S. who are either remote, flex, or office-based. Etsy offers different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of our team. Learn more about our flexible work options and vaccination policy here.
What’s this team like at Etsy?
- The Market Research team uses research to inform the development of marketing strategy & tactics and to help evaluate marketing performance (in close partnership with marketing analytics).
- We’re a mixed methods team, applying a deep bench of quantitative and qualitative methods.
- We conduct research with a range of audiences, including global consumers, small business owners, as well as Etsy buyers & sellers.
- We actively foster an inclusive team culture that promotes diversity, collaboration, and professional development.
What does the day-to-day look like?
- Independently own all stages of primary market research, including proposal writing, questionnaire / discussion guide design, data analysis, insight generation, report writing, and presentation of results.
- Track and synthesize macro, industry, and consumer trends in order to determine implications for Etsy and identify possible courses of action.
- Proactively identify high-impact research opportunities and secure buy-in needed to move forward.
- Partner with other insights teams (UX Research, Analytics, Data Science, etc.) to triangulate insights and synthesize findings & recommendations.
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy’s discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- Successful track record of collaborating with Marketing partners in a tech / SaS (software-as-service) environment.
- Ability to clearly communicate research results & recommendations via reports and presentations, including effective data visualization.
- Highly organized with strong project management skills.
- Experience programming and deploying surveys using Qualtrics, Alchemer, or other similar tools.
- Experience managing research agencies/vendors, ensuring their work achieves research objectives and is delivered on time and within budget.
- Familiarity with advanced quantitative methods (regression analysis, maxdiff, conjoint, cluster analysis, etc.) a plus.
If you’re interested in joining the team at Etsy, please share your resume with us and feel free to include a cover letter if you’d like. As we hope you’ve seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else — we want you to be like you! So tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace furthers relevance, resilience, and longevity. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If, due to a disability, you need an accommodation during any part of the interview process, please let your recruiter know. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you’ll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. We’re open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska. For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.