Full-Time- Location: US, Remote
WHO WE ARE
The Humane League (“THL”) is an international nonprofit organization ending the abuse of animals raised for food through institutional and individual change. THL fosters a high-energy culture of teamwork and mission-driven problem solving, and we have earned recognition as Top Charity from Animal Charity Evaluators for all of their rating periods. Over the past few years, The Humane League has positioned itself for growth. We have a current staff size of 80+ passionate and highly talented individuals dispersed across the United States and internationally. We are looking for an experienced attorney to advise and support the Legal Department and internal stakeholders on various legal risks and rights, to assume responsibility for a number of legal practice areas within the organization, and to support the General Counsel in ensuring the organization’s legal compliance as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization in all aspects of its operations.
Your position plays an integral role in identifying and minimizing risks to the organization to ensure its continued operation as an effective advocate to improve the lives of farm animals around the world.
We want you because you have a mission and values-centered approach to your life and your work. You are ideal for this position because you have significant experience providing advice and counsel on a variety of legal matters, have stellar legal research skills, and are willing to offer creative solutions in nuanced situations. You possess exceptional analytical, organizational, and oral and written communication skills, exhibit careful attention to detail, and are able to deftly manage multiple priorities with competing deadlines.
This is a full-time, remote position with occasional travel. This is a US-based position. We are only able to consider applicants who possess United States work authorization.
- Provide expert legal advice and support to internal stakeholders and teams within THL’s Programs Department, including Campaigns, Organizing, Fellowship, and Changemaker Circle volunteer program, to include:
- Review of strategies, tactics, and communications materials related to public awareness and advocacy campaigns;
- Support and review of contracts related to planning fundraising and community building events; and
- Legal compliance and best practices for robust volunteer and intern programs.
- Negotiate, draft, and review various contracts, policies, and internal and external communications, and implement and manage a comprehensive Contract Management System.
- Develop internal policies and monitor and manage data privacy and information security matters.
- Conduct research and write memoranda on various legal issues, including labor and employment, tax-exempt, and international law.
- Assist on an as-needed basis with corporate compliance, labor and employment, human resources, and intellectual property issues.
- Support innovative programs and new initiatives to advance our mission.
- Serve as a business partner to the organization, particularly with regard to programs, communications, and fundraising events.
- Other duties as assigned by the General Counsel.
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school.
- License to practice law and member in good standing in at least one US jurisdiction.
- Minimum of five years of previous experience practicing law in a law firm or corporate legal setting.
- A desire to advise and support The Humane League’s aggressive corporate campaign work.
- Experience drafting and reviewing a variety of contracts and performing other transactional work.
- Understanding of defamation, First Amendment, intellectual property, and privacy law.
- Understanding of nonprofit sector and related legal issues strongly preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Careful attention to detail.
- Strong legal research and analysis skills.
- Must be able to manage multiple priorities, working both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, identify issues, and propose solutions independently.
- Comfort working remotely and in a rapidly growing organization.
- Commitment to The Humane League’s mission.
Employees enjoy full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan, working from home, flexible holiday and vacation time, room for advancement, and the supportive environment at The Humane League!
The Humane League is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with laws and in furtherance of our commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.