Staff Accountant at Shelf Engine
Seattle, WA or Remote
At Shelf Engine, our mission is to reduce food waste through automation. We harness the power of AI to provide real-time, intelligent forecasting and fully automated ordering to food retailers across the United States. We’re able to drastically reduce the amount of food waste generated while simultaneously maximizing sales and expanding margins for grocersa triple win for suppliers and retailers, consumers, and the environment.
At Shelf Engine, our mission is to reduce food waste through automation. We harness the power of AI to provide real-time, intelligent forecasting for food retailers like grocery stores, restaurants, and cafes across the United States. We’re able to drastically reduce the amount of shrink (food waste) which in turn drives profit for retailers, lowers costs for consumers, and reduces the negative ecological and social impacts of waste.
Shelf Engine is searching for a talented Staff Accountant to join our growing team and report directly to our accounting manager. In this role, you will work with multiple teams across functions to assist in both platform and corporate accounting operations. The goal is to help Shelf Engine scale its Accounting team as we continue to grow. You’ll accomplish this by being a self-starter, motivated to find optimal ways of doing things and establishing new processes that scale. We are keen on your ability to identify system and process improvements to drive better control and reporting while continually driving toward reducing cycle time by turning those items over to shared services. We want to stress that you must have a natural tendency and urgency toward (i) achieving deadlines for process and reporting of anything assigned, (ii) managing processing and information to ensure accurate and timely reporting, and (iii) improving communication with everyone you work with to drive improvement and financial comprehension with an eye toward better processes. There will be plenty of opportunity to grow your career in this role. If you have a passion for solving complex financial problems, this may be your dream job.
This position is based in Seattle, WA, or remote.
As a Staff Accountant, you will:
- Embrace our company principles through inclusive, authentically-kind, and empathetic interactions with our team and our customers
- Support review of process, accounting guidance and controls to ensure corporate policies met and GAAP updates are incorporated
- Assist in monthly closing of all P&L and balance sheet accounts and researching discrepancies
- Assist in platform vendor management and reconciliations, and provide backup for platform billing
- Prepare and analyze billings and contact customers when necessary regarding timely payments
- Communicate and collaborate cross-functionally, particularly with the Customer Success and Operations teams, to ensure they have accurate financial reporting, accurate delivery/sales data, and to ensure customer accounts are set up for proper accounting
- Complete ad hoc analysis for Accounting Manager and Head of Finance, and ensure departments and corporate leadership receives timely and accurate reporting
- Respond to general ledger and vendor inquiries and respond as necessary
- Manage and execute employee reimbursement process
- Research and present findings of a variety of projects, including general ledger posting, tax notices, budget inquiries, M&A activity, audit, and various other exciting projects
We think you would make a great Staff Accounting if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
- At least one year staff accounting experience preferred.
- High attention to detail is critical.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team.
- Strong cross-functional collaboration and communication
- Excel proficiency is critical.
- Experience with Intacct is a big plus. Tableau a nice to have.
- Passion for startups and Shelf Engine’s mission.
What Shelf Engine offers you:
- A unique opportunity to join a fast-growing sustainability startup early on, making a meaningful impact on the team as well as the environment
- An inclusive work environment that emphasizes each team member’s personal and professional growth
- Competitive salary in the range of $50,000-$70,000 depending on skills and experience
- Pre-IPO equity with a four-year vesting schedule
- PTO that is unlimited and self-managed for full time employees
- 100% employer-paid premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees, and 50% covered for eligible dependents
- Coverage for life insurance, short- and long-term disability, and access to a robust Employee Assistance Program
- Optional employee contribution of pre-tax dollars to medical and dependent care FSA accounts
- 401k plan through Guideline to contribute to your financial future
- Seattle only: Company-paid ORCA transit card
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!