SSM Senior Inpatient Facility Medical Coder at United Health Group
Location: US Locations Only; 100% Remote
Compassion. It’s the starting point for health care providers like you and it’s what drives us every day as we put our exceptional skills together with a real feeling of caring for others. This is a place where your impact goes beyond providing care one patient at a time. Because here, every day, you’re also providing leadership and contributing in ways that can affect millions for years to come. Ready for a new path? Learn more, and start doing your life’s best work.SM
$3,000 Sign On Bonus For External Candidates
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
Combine two of the fastest – growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that’s improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn’t about another gadget, it’s about making Healthcare data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There’s no room for error. Join us and start doing your life’s best work.SM
This opportunity is with one of our most exciting business areas: Optum – a growing part of our family of companies that make UnitedHealth Group a Fortune 5 leader.
Optum helps nearly 60 million Americans live their lives to the fullest by educating them about their symptoms, conditions and treatments; helping them to navigate the system, finance their healthcare needs and stay on track with their health goals. No other business touches so many lives in such a positive way. And we do it all with every action focused on our shared values of Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation & Performance.
We’re focused on improving the health of our members, enhancing our operational effectiveness and reinforcing our reputation for high-quality health services. As a Senior Inpatient Facility Coder you will provide coding and coding auditing services directly to providers. You’ll play a key part in healing the health system by making sure our high standards for documentation processes are being met.
What makes your clinical career greater with UnitedHealth Group? You’ll work within an incredible team culture; a clinical and business collaboration that is learning and evolving every day. And, when you contribute, you’ll open doors for yourself that simply do not exist in any other organization, anywhere.
As a part of our continued growth, we are searching for a new Senior Inpatient Facility Coder to join our team…
The Senior Inpatient Facility Coder functions as the first line management for the Coding Department and provides oversight for the coding staff and operations. This includes education to the Coders, Providers and Staff on coding and proper documentation for Ambulatory services. Responsibilities within the department include: coding, audits, project management, staff development, quality management and training.
This is a virtual, remote, position that requires candidates to be highly organized, self-starters, well-versed in technical applications. Previous success in a remote environment is preferred. The work schedule is flexible. Typically, Sunday through Thursday or Tuesday through Saturday with set hours as established between manager and coder may require weekend and/or holiday coverage to meet business needs as well as the possibility of mandatory overtime.
Employees are will have the opportunity to choose between Tuesday – Saturday or Sunday – Thursday (1 weekend day is required) – 40 hours/week
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
- Identify appropriate assignment of ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS Codes for inpatient services provided in a hospital setting and understand their impact on the DRG with reference to CC/MCC, while adhering to the official coding guidelines and established client coding guidelines of the assigned facility
- Abstract additional data elements during the Chart Review process when coding, as needed
- Adhere to the ethical standards of coding as established by AAPC and/or AHIMA
- Adhere to and maintain required levels of performance in both coding quality and productivity as established by Optum360
- Provide documentation feedback to providers and query physicians when appropriate
- Maintain up-to-date Coding knowledge by reviewing materials disseminated/recommended by the QM Manager, Coding Operations Managers, and Director of Coding/Quality Management, etc.
- Participate in coding department meetings and educational events
- Review and maintain a record of charts coded, held, and/or missing
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- 3+ years of Acute Care Inpatient medical coding experience (hospital, facility, etc.)
- Professional coder certification with credentialing from AHIMA and/or AAPC (ROCC, CPC, COC, CPC-P, CCS) to be maintained annually
- Experience working in a level I trauma center and/or teaching hospital with a mastery of complex procedures, major trauma ER encounters, cardiac catheterization, interventional radiology, orthopedic and neurology cases, and observation coding.
- ICD-10 (CM & PCS) experience and DRG coding experience
- Ability to pass all pre-employment requirements including, but not limited to drug screening, background check, and coding
- Ability to work the weekly schedule (Sunday – Thursday OR Tuesday – Saturday)
- 2+ years of outpatient facility coding experience
- Experience with OSHPD reporting
- Experience with various encoder systems (eCAC,3M, EPIC)
- Ability to use a PC in a Windows environment, including Microsoft Excel (create, edit, save, and send spreadsheets) and EMR systems
- Required to have a dedicated work area established that is separated from other living areas and provides information privacy
- Ability to keep all company sensitive documents secure (if applicable)
- Must live in a location that can receive a UnitedHealth Group approved high-speed internet connection or leverage an existing high-speed internet service
UnitedHealth Group requires all new hires and employees to report their COVID-19 vaccination status.
Military & Veterans find your next mission: We know your background and experience is different and we like that. UnitedHealth Group values the skills, experience and dedication that serving in the military demands. In fact, many of the values defined in the service mirror what the UnitedHealth Group culture holds true: Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation and Performance. Whether you are looking to transition from active duty to a civilian career, or are an experienced veteran or spouse, we want to help guide your career journey. Learn more at https://uhg.hr/transitioning-military
Learn how Teresa, a Senior Quality Analyst, works with military veterans and ensures they receive the best benefits and experience possible. https://uhg.hr/vet
Careers with OptumInsight. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the Healthcare industry and improve people’s lives. This is where it’s happening. This is where you’ll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We’re freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it’s needed. We’re creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life’s best work.SM
Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada or New York City Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $21.68 – $38.56. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada / New York City residents is $23.94 – $42.40. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives
**PLEASE NOTE** The sign on bonus is only available to external candidates. Candidates who are currently working for a UnitedHealth Group, UnitedHealthcare or related entity in a full time, part time, or per diem basis (“Internal Candidates”) are not eligible to receive a sign on bonus.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug – free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.