Solutions Architect at Gremlin
- Location: Remote
Employees at Gremlin have the unique chance to be at the forefront of a new IT practice, Chaos Engineering, just as the industry is beginning to adopt it. Our team is growing and you have an opportunity to join us as we transform how companies like Expedia, Target, Qualtrics, and many more build reliable software.
Gartner anticipates that 40% of organizations will implement chaos engineering practices as part of DevOps initiatives by 2023, reducing unplanned downtime by 20%.
Chaos Engineering helps engineers test large computer systems to discover potential system problems before those problems cause outages. This is a foundational approach for every company that provides mission critical, always online services. Gremlin provides a platform that makes the practice much faster to implement and easier to use for both large and small enterprise customers.
About the Role of the Solutions Architect
Gremlin is looking for a strong technical sales leader to help demonstrate the value of Chaos Engineering to would-be customers. In this role, you will have the opportunity to build and display demos to prospective customers, guide and teach customers how to run GameDays, and champion the art of proactively breaking things on purpose, for a more resilient Internet. As customers ultimately convert to a paid subscription, you will also work closely with Reliability Architects to onboard and equip customers on their reliability journey.
- Demo Gremlin in customer calls, in conferences, or in webinars
- Participate and otherwise lead GameDays with potential customers
- Educate potential customers on chaos engineering, and run chaos experiments
- Partner with sales team to drive technical wins and Gremlin adoption
- Create publicly-viewable content, such as whitepapers, blog posts, or videos
- Engage with Product team on customer feedback to deliver a better customer experience
Key Skills and Attributes
If you don’t think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.
- 3-5 years experience in a technical role, including development, ops, or technical sales
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in one or more public cloud providers such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud Platform
- Strong Linux and Containers knowledge and troubleshooting skills
Nice to Have:
- Experience in working through a production outage
- Software QA or testing experience, particularly in automation
- Knowledge of modern DevOps and SRE tools
Our founders, Kolton Andrus and Matthew Fornaciari, lived and breathed incidents, on-call, and Chaos Engineering at Amazon and Netflix. As Call Leaders they were responsible for guiding teams through analyzing and resolving global outages. After a decade of developing and advocating Chaos Engineering internally, in 2016 they decided to make what they had learned available to a wider set of enterprise companies and launched Gremlin.
Since then, Gremlin has built an incredible team of industry veterans and people eager to learn from one another while pushing the entire industry forward to new heights. We’re backed by top-tier investors Index Ventures, Amplify Partners, and Redpoint Ventures. Our customers love us, and we’re thrilled to be a partner in their success.
At Gremlin we value:
- OUR CUSTOMERS – We won’t be a company if our customers aren’t thrilled. We live and die by our customers, so they come first.
- ACTION – We favor small experiments to gather data rather than over analyzing a situation. Getting stuff done always beats talking about getting stuff done.
- CONTEXT, NOT CONTROL – We hire autonomous adults with good judgement. We provide them with the context to make smart decisions. We don’t micromanage.
- BEING VOCALLY SELF-CRITICAL – We all make mistakes, we all have ways in which we can improve. We own that up front, and honestly discuss ways in which we’ve personally made mistakes and can get better. Then, we encourage and help one another succeed at doing so.
- DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION – We are at our best when we encourage and include the thoughts and voices of people from many diverse backgrounds into our strategy and execution. We recognize that systemic racism and gender bias are real and that we aren’t perfect, so we actively work to encourage the difficult conversations, to listen, and to change as we discover our blind spots so that Gremlin is a company all of us feel proud to be a part of.
- FRUGALITY – We are working to build a profitable company and create a new practice in the industry. We spend money on the right things, like making sure employees have the tools they need to be successful and the company has what it needs; we simply choose not to waste what we have and not to buy what we don’t actually need.
You are welcome at Gremlin for who you are. The more voices and ideas we have represented in our business, the more we will all flourish, contribute, and build a more reliable internet. Gremlin is a place where everyone can grow and is encouraged. However you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this sounds like a role that would make you excited to come into work every day. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep building a more reliable internet by building and designing tools used by the best companies in the world.
We can’t wait to meet you!
Learn more about how Gremlin is defining the practice of Chaos Engineering:
- Engineering for Chaos: Preparing for Disaster | Kolton Andrus | TEDxAsburyPark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BasOy54QGKo
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!