Software Engineer – Sensor Research at Meta Platforms
Software Engineer – Sensor Research
Redmond, WA | Remote, US
Reality Labs Research (RL-R) brings together a diverse and highly interdisciplinary team of researchers and engineers to create the future of augmented and virtual reality. The Sensor team’s goal is to create ultra low power and lightweight photon-to-inference pipelines that enable all-day, always-on machine perception. The team cultivates an honest and open environment where self-motivated individuals thrive. We encourage a strong sense of ownership and embrace the ambiguity that comes with working on the frontiers of research. As a software engineering leader in Sensors and Systems Research (SSR), you’ll partner with expert research scientists, electrical engineers, silicon engineers and other brilliant minds to build novel prototypes integrated with advanced AR/VR headsets. You’ll foster scientific explorations and generate viable paths to the consumer products that will connect people in meaningful ways for decades to come. You’ll work on a wide range of technology, from building simulations to standing up prototypes to optimizing new algorithms. Long-term, you will establish foundational software that allows the team to further turbocharge sensor research. Together, let’s step into the adventure of a lifetime as we make science fiction real and change the world.
Software Engineer – Sensor Research Responsibilities
- Analyze, evaluate, design, develop, integrate, debug and test real-time AR and VR software for advanced sensor prototypes and user experiences
- Build tools, SDKs, platforms and documentation that enable more efficient and effective research
- Build clean readable code, debug complex problems that span systems, prioritize ruthlessly and get things done with a high level of efficiency
- Collaborate in a team environment across multiple scientific and engineering disciplines, making the architectural tradeoffs required to rapidly deliver software solutions
- Develop software for a variety of experimental consumer sensor technologies
- Learn constantly, educate others, build with inclusion as a core value, dive into new areas with unfamiliar technologies, and embrace the ambiguity of AR/VR problem solving
- BS degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics or related field, or equivalent practical experience
- 10+ years C/C++ experience, including C++11 (and up) features and principles
- 5+ years experience creating, extending, integrating and maintaining high performance real-time systems such as video codecs, sensor fusion systems, graphics rendering, image processing, physics, networking, animation, medical systems or robotics
- 5+ years experience with modern RISC low-power architectures, toolchains, compilers, firmware and optimization techniques
- 3+ years of experience in sensor technology, such as cameras, depth sensors, microphones, IMUs, lidar, radar, etc.
- 3+ years machine learning or deep learning experience with tools such as TensorFlow or PyTorch
- Experience in SDK development
- Experience with driver and firmware system integration
- Experience accelerating image processing across systems from CPU to GPU to FPGA
- Experience with real-time optimization using threading and/or SIMD instruction sets
- Experience with ARM Cortex or RISC-V architectures
- Experience with GPGPU programming using CUDA, OpenCL or DirectCompute
- Experience using Python
- Experience optimizing ML workload runtimes
- Experience with FPGA, ASIC or silicon development
- Experience in AR/VR application development
Meta builds technologies that help people connect, find communities, and grow businesses. When Facebook launched in 2004, it changed the way people connect. Apps like Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp further empowered billions around the world. Now, Meta is moving beyond 2D screens toward immersive experiences like augmented and virtual reality to help build the next evolution in social technology. People who choose to build their careers by building with us at Meta help shape a future that will take us beyond what digital connection makes possible todaybeyond the constraints of screens, the limits of distance, and even the rules of physics.
Meta is committed to providing reasonable support (called accommodations) in our recruiting processes for candidates with disabilities, long term conditions, mental health conditions or sincerely held religious beliefs, or who are neurodivergent or require pregnancy-related support. If you need support, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
$205,000/year to $281,000/year + bonus + equity + benefits