Software Engineer III
Location: Remote/Nationwide Remote/Nationwide USA
Kaplan Professional is continuously evolving our technology products and customer experience to maintain our position as the global leader in professional education. We are looking for software engineers to help us advance our B2B acquisition channel, a platform for both students and administrators. The Software Engineer III (Portal) is responsible for software development as a member of a cross-functional delivery team. He or she works closely with product owners, business analysts, quality analysts, and other teams to design, develop, and test software solutions. She or he will maintain the current system built on the LAMP stack, which integrates with a number of REST services. This system will be further componentized with upcoming projects, providing the opportunity to re-write significant portions using the latest technologies, including React and GraphQL. This is a full-stack web development position with work that is highly independent.
- Designs, codes, debugs, optimizes, and releases both front-end and back-end components as well as internal tools.
- Performs code reviews of pull requests.
- Assists junior engineers with development and SDLC processes.
- Works closely with QA analysts for feature and regression testing.
- Writes and maintains unit, integration, and acceptance tests.
- Helps select and incorporate new tools and technologies.
- Drives continuous improvement of best practices within the development team.
- Identifies and recommends where increased automation, performance enhancements, application enhancements, and quality enhancements may be incorporated.
- Remains flexible and responsive to changing priorities and multiple, concurrent responsibilities.
- Keeps current with emerging technologies and technological developments within the industry.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related field or 7-8 years of professional experience
- 5+ years experience in Software Engineering
- MySQL (or similar relational database management system)
- Object-oriented design
- Unit, integration, & acceptance testing
- Git (or similar version control system)
- Accountable, analytical, methodical, strategic, situational awareness
Experience or interest in learning:
- REST web services / microservice architecture
- Continuous integration & continuous delivery
- Behavior-driven development
- Single-page application development with React
- Docker containers
- Cloud technologies (e.g. serverless architecture / AWS Lambda)