Software Engineer II – Full Stack at Varsity Tutors
Title: Software Engineer II (Full Stack)
- Location: Remote
We are looking for Software Engineers to join our fast growing Engineering team. This is a great opportunity to work with an amazing team and drive the technology of learning products and platforms. We operate in a highly collaborative environment with Product and Design to build experiences that matter to our customers. At Varsity Tutors, engineers do not just write code, they actively participate in the conversation on what and how to build the systems and solutions that matter to our customers. If you love your customers as much as we do, we’d love to hear from you.
This position is a full-time remote opportunity! (We’ve been remote friendly for years and that isn’t going away).
Note: Please feel comfortable applying, even if you don’t meet all the requirements for the position. We’ll let you in on a secret: there’s no such thing as a perfect candidate. Everyone can grow at Varsity Tutors. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply. Apply now if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day!
About Varsity Tutors:
Varsity Tutors, a Nerdy Company, is the leading direct-to-consumer, curated gig economy platform for live online learning benefiting both learners and experts. We have built a comprehensive online learning destination that enables the delivery of scaled high-quality live expertise for learners of all ages across thousands of subjects and multiple learning formats through the application of technology and AI. We’ve raised $107M million in venture capital from TCV, Learn Capital, and the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative. We also recently announced that Nerdy, the parent company of Varsity Tutors, plans to go public via a SPAC with TPG Pace Tech Opportunities later this year, with a $1.7 billion market valuation.
We succeed thanks to a diverse mix of talented people who want to come, to stay, and do their best work. If you love learning, technology, and making a true impact, you’re going to love working here!
In this position, you will
- Collaborate with stakeholders and partners across teams and departments
- Write performant, maintainable code that is easy to read and well-documented
- Write automated tests to thoroughly validate the correctness of your code
- Deploy large-scale web applications
- Have a focus on quality, and operate iteratively to get from good to better
- Be a part of your team’s on-call rotation; we all own our code end-to-end from development to deployment to operations
- Come ready to learn from some of the best and brightest in the industry
- Work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic and fast-moving team
- Be effective in a team environment working with fellow engineers, product management, and design
- 3+ years of experience working as a Full Stack Engineer
- Experience with React or similar UI frameworks (e.g. Vue, AngularJS)
- Experience with Ruby on Rails or similar web frameworks (e.g. Django)
- Experience with deployment systems (e.g. CodeShip, AWS CodeDeploy)
- Familiarity with AWS Services (e.g. RDS, Kinesis, EC2, Lambda, et cetera)
- Familiarity with the Linux Operating System and command-line tools
- Understanding of OO design, algorithms, and data structures
- Familiarity with implementing e-commerce solutions is beneficial
- Aptitude to quickly learn new languages and technologies as necessary
- Computer Science or related degree
Varsity Tutors Leadership Principles
Relentless Focus on Customers * Comfort with Ambiguity * Ownership * Simplify * Intellectual Curiosity * Build Teams * Think Big * Insist on High Standards * Bias for Action * Build Trust * Go Deep * Have Conviction * Deliver Results * Are Right, a Lot
- Once in a lifetime opportunity to help revolutionize how the world learns!
- Fun, collaborative, and team-oriented work environment with plenty of training and a feedback-rich culture
- Remote friendly
- Work-life balance
- Healthcare Plans (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life)
- 401k Company Matching Plan
- Flexible PTO plus a floating holiday (for your birthday!)
- Paid VTO (“Volunteer Time Off” to do community service/charity work)
- 52 hours of Free Learning Sessions per year for you or immediate families members and free access to our Virtual School Day classes and School@Home program
- Collaborative, and team-oriented work environment
- Try a free trial of our Live Learning Platform here: https://www.varsitytutors.com/freetrial
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!