Software Engineer — React/Node/AWS
San Francisco or Remote (US based)
Thorn is a non-profit focused on building technology to defend children from sexual abuse. Working at Thorn gives you the opportunity to apply your skills, expertise and passion to directly impact the lives of vulnerable and abused children. Our staff solves dynamic, quickly evolving problems with our network of partners from tech companies, NGOs, and law enforcement agencies. If you are able to bring clarity to complexity and lightness to heavy problems, you could be a great fit for our team.
You will work on building an application from beginning to end that assists law enforcement in identifying the most vulnerable victims. The work spans engineering topics from single-page web application development to API endpoint creation.
What You’ll Do:
- Collaborate with the other engineers on your team to build a complex client application from end-to-end.
- Work closely with the product manager and engineers to define product requirements.
- Present possible technical solutions to various stakeholders, clearly explaining your decisions and how they address real user needs, incorporating feedback in subsequent iterations.
What We’re Looking For:
- You have proficient software development knowledge, with experience building, growing, maintaining a variety of products, and a love for creating elegant applications using modern technologies.
- You have an ability and interest in learning new technologies quickly.
- You can work with shifting requirements and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
- You have experience prototyping, implementing, testing, and deploying code to production.
- You have a passion for product engineering and an aptitude to work in a collaborative environment, can demonstrate empathy and strong advocacy for our users, while balancing the vision and constraints of engineering.
- You communicate clearly, efficiently, and thoughtfully. We’re a highly-distributed team, so written communication is crucial, from Slack to pull requests to code reviews.
Technologies We Use:
You should have non-trivial experience with at least a few of these, but we’re open to teaching folks that have the desire and ability to learn the rest.
- React / TypeScript
- Node / Express
- Docker / Kubernetes
- AWS / Terraform / Packer
- PostgreSQL / Elasticsearch