Software Engineer at BookNook
- FULL TIME
- BookNook is a dual bottom line education technology company that is committed to closing the early reading opportunity gap through innovations that prioritize authentic human connections to support learning.
- We believe the best edtech solutions are developed and supported by people with their roots in the classroom or the social sector, and we strive to build a team that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.
- As a Software Engineer at BookNook, you will immediately play an integral role in building out, scaling and optimizing our cloud-based learning platform.
- You will join our fast-growing team as an early employee that can build and shape the future direction of our services in delivering outstanding user experiences and learning tools.
At BookNook, you will…
- Build, test, scale, support and frequently refine new products and services.
- Own what you build through the entire product lifecycle.
- Tackle a wide variety of coding challenges throughout the stack and contribute to all parts of our code base.
- Build a platform that teachers thousands of children of read every day.
- Be a team player in a small, flat-structured, highly collaborative environment.
- Be surrounded by a great team of highly talented professionals doing the best work of their lives, and having fun with it.
The ideal candidate will have…
- Experience with modern frontend development
- Experience with code versioning tools, such as Git / Mercurial / SVN (we use Git)
- Full-stack web development experience
- Experience with responsive design
- Passion for learning and tackling new and exciting technical challenges.
- Someone who cares about the user experience and be driven by solving real-world problems.
- Someone who embraces the agile development process and lean startup approach, grounded in metrics and user data.
- A passion for teaching and our company mission. Many BookNook employees are former educators.
Other types of experience we love (but don’t require)…
- Experience with backend technologies, including frameworks such as NodeJS or Django, relational databases, SQL, data modeling, API design, testing, performance optimization, etc. We run a Nodejs / postgres stack that leverages Google Firebase for realtime sync.
- Working in a small startup environment.
- Communicating with users, technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
- Working in a school or educational setting.
What you’ll get from us…
- Competitive base salary and equity stake
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits
- Great work/life balance: Unlimited PTO and generous holiday schedule
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!