Remote Software Developer US
Nice to meet you!
I’m the lead developer for a product called Instilled, and we need your help building the best all-remote development team possible. You’ll be entrusted with the freedom and independence to go out and do your best work, and have the opportunity to make a real, outsized contribution to an entirely new culture and identity. And so, if that sounds appealing to you, read on: We’d like you to join us.
Our product is a video delivery platformthink of it like an enterprise YouTubebut it has the potential to be something bigger. We believe it can form the core of a next-generation learning product that consolidates all of an organization’s learning content into a single platform, making it easy for learners to find relevant content and for companies to make sense of all the data these learning activities generate. This is a unique opportunity, because Instilled already has a stable and profitable customer base, but this new direction gives us the chance to tap into a large new market.
We’ll be honest: like many companies, we find ourselves facing down the impending end-of-life of AngularJS. We’re going to have to rewrite our frontend, and we need somebody with the high-level experience to lead the charge on design and implementation, with the aid of one other full-time frontend dev. Because we will be rewriting so much, you’ll have a lot of influence in determining the particular technologies you’ll be working with. And while we’re making massive changes in the design, it will be a good opportunity to do a thorough UX review of the software, to make sure we’re really delivering on our promise of an e-learning platform that’s a joy for learners to use.
Excellent applicants will share our values, namely:
- A strong commitment to testing. If we’re going to redesign an app from the ground up, then we want to make sure it’s tested from the very first release.
- Fluency with UX design concepts. We’ll have some help from a UX designer, but many times we’re going to rely on you to tell us whether that selector should be a dropdown or a radio button.
- Excellent communication skills. You’re going to be making some big decisions, and you will have to convince the rest of your team that these are the right decisionsand then document those decisions, so that new team members can jump in as needed.
- Self-directedness. You own your work and take responsibility for getting it done because your team members are counting on you. Sometimes this means going heads down and just coding. Sometimes it means knowing when to ask for help. But, in all cases, you are the engine driving your work to completion.
- Helpfulness. There is nothing worse in a remote position than feeling stuck. That’s why it’s important to be the kind of person who is willing to help a coworkerto offer insight from when you’ve worked on that same code or to rubber-duck a difficult bugbecause we’re all in this together and we’ll all need it in return someday.
- Reading Comprehension. There is a product with a storied history here, written by people who knew what they were doing. We may be rewriting a large portion of it, but we must preserve existing functionality. You need to be able to make sense of other people’s legacy code and change it carefully.
- Willingness to speak up. We have a lot of things to figure outfrom considering far-reaching architectural decisions, to configuring our linter for tabs or spaces, to figuring out an optimal meeting schedule, to creating an even more welcoming space for our team. We want people who aren’t afraid to speak up and push to make things better.
How to Apply
If this is interesting to you, include a cover letter in your application, letting us know why you’d be a great fit for the team. We take culture very seriously, and we cannot evaluate a culture fit from a resume alone: the cover letter is the most important part!
- Tell us about what interests you about this job specifically.
- Tell us about the kind of developer you are, what motivates you, how you approach your work, and the kinds of problems you’ve solved. Don’t just list technologies you’ve worked withtell us why you love the tools you’ve used.
- Better yet, tell us about a situation or project where you demonstrated the qualities above.
- Tell us whether you prefer tabs or spaces (just kidding).
- Note that applicants must be geographically located in the US and have legal right to work in the US.
If we move forward, you’ll be asked to participate in a quick phone screen and then to complete a brief take-home technical test, followed by a remote interview/screenshare.
We’re looking forward to hearing from you soon!
In addition to vacation benefits, you will be eligible upon your date of hire to participate in our health benefits program which includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, HSA and FSA plans as well as short-term and long-term disability and company paid life insurance. Additionally, you will be eligible to participate in our 401(k) plan.
The salary range for this role is $80,000 – $105,000, dependent on experience.
About the company:
The gomo learning suite provides three multi-award-winning products that allow you to create, host, update, distribute and track beautiful multi-device eLearning. With gomo authoring, you can create truly responsive and adaptive HTML5 content that looks perfect on all devices, including desktops, tablets, and smartphones. With gomo hosting and analytics, you can get content into the hands of learners instantly via websites, direct link, QR code, the gomo LMS wrapper, social media, the gomo central mobile learning app and more all with full xAPI analytics. And with gomo video, you can repurpose, enhance, disseminate and track video content with speed and confidence.
With an ever-growing client base including Nike, Jaguar Land Rover, Shell, EE, Royal Mail Group, Santander, British Airways, Rentokil Initial, United Healthcare, the BBC, Norton Healthcare, Booking.com, and many more, gomo is quickly becoming the established choice for global organizations seeking collaborative, future-proof and responsive HTML5 multi-device eLearning.
gomo is part of Learning Technologies Group plc’s award-winning group of specialist learning technology businesses.