Social Media Associate at Earthjustice
Title: Social Media Associate
Location: US National – Remote
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, Chicago, and Washington, DC.
Earthjustice is seeking a Social Media Associate to join its Communications team. This position is responsible for devising and executing the organization’s social media (SM) strategies. Major responsibilities include daily management and postings to key SM accounts, in particular, Twitter; including active SM engagement and monitoring of conversations with supporters and influencers; design of SM graphics and visuals; development of SM strategies to support the goals of Communications and other departments; tracking, analysis, and reporting of SM metrics, and experimentation and evaluation of new SM tools.
Daily Management of Social Media Accounts (60%)
- Create daily social media content, process social media requests, and adapt rapid-fire communication tactics for organization’s social media channels, in particular Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Monitor breaking news and coordinate rapid responses on social media. Work on call after hours and weekends to provide guidance and create content for rapid response moments in cases of emergency.
- Work with Communications, Development, and Program staff to manage social media calendar, including coordination and scheduling of major advocacy campaigns.
- Engage with supporters on SM, including answering questions, driving comments, and guiding discussions.
Development of Social Media Strategies (30%)
- Participate in Creative team and Communication meetings to generate ideas for storytelling and content creation.
- Work with the Marketing team to research and build lists of influencers for outreach on major campaigns and initiatives.
- Work with the Online Fundraising team to implement paid promotional strategies for major fundraising campaigns.
- Work with the Graphic Design team to create social media posting templates for greater efficiency and brand consistency.
- Work with the Program Comms team to implement paid promotional strategies for advocacy purposes.
Evaluation and Metrics (10%)
- Use analytics platform to identify and track key performance metrics.
- Compile monthly reports on best-performing social media posts; make strategic recommendations to improve future performances.
- Stay informed on the latest social media trends and share knowledge with wider Communications team.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a major communications, design, computer science, marketing, political science, or environmental studies, or equivalent years of experience preferred
- Experience with marketing, communications, design and advocacy a plus.
- In-depth experience managing organizational social media accounts, especially Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Strong familiarity with other SM platforms, such as Reddit and Twitch.
- Strong organizational skills with demonstrated ability to plan and execute a variety of complicated projects. Strong attention to details a must.
- Excellent writing skills, especially in translating long-form narrative into shorter, impactful pieces of storytelling. Sense of humor, spontaneity, and creativity is a must.
- Strong command of visual design and typography, including strong photo selection and photo-editing skills; adept at Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere for Facebook video editing.
- Ability to work quickly and productively in a team and in an open work environment.
- Thorough command of Microsoft Office products, including Excel and Powerpoint.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
Salary is based on experience and location.
Salary range for San Francisco, CA: $71,200 – $79,100
Salary range Remote (within the US): $60,600 – $79,100