Senior Writer at Animal Legal Defense Fund
Animal Legal Defense Fund
REMOTE OR COTATI, CALIFORNIA
The senior writer will help guide the Animal Legal Defense Fund ‘s editorial voice and ensure messaging and content is reflective of the organization’s mission across all communication channels. The senior writer is responsible for all written content and will ensure consistency of the Animal Legal Defense Fund brand, both in print and online while communicating to a range of audiences including, the legal community, the general public, Animal Legal Defense Fund members, and its donors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the direction of the managing editor, the senior writer is responsible for drafting or reviewing all organizational written content.
- Manage the short-term and long-term writing process for content including but not limited to the Animal Legal Defense Fund website, blogs, academic publications marketing materials, annual report, press releases, policy and position statements, Op-eds and specific projects for the development department.
- Collaborate with director of communications and managing editor to ensure editorial content is hitting strategic goals of the organization.
- Analyze and set standards for optimal email performance by recognizing and adjusting to trends in audience behaviors
- Managing versioning of content for audience segmentation
- Conduct research by reviewing primary research, interviewing experts, and conferring with internal experts
- Contribute to other communications products, including, but not limited to, developing talking point memos for staff, drafting speeches and editorial content for leadership
- Serve as a copy editor for, and provide editorial assistance to, all staff to include reviewing highly visible written content such as annual reports, magazines, direct mail and digital fundraising copy, and action alerts.
- Ensure all written content is approved by the organization’s leadership
- Proofread communications content with an eye to grammar, format, and ALDF and Chicago or AP Style depending on publication.
- Ensure impeccable citation of research as well as internal and external review of content and citation
- Manage the content of The Animals’ Advocate and the Quarterly Impact Report including oversight of all researching, writing, and editing.
- Manage the content creation—writing, editing, and necessary approvals—for additional program and development publications, including fact sheets and brochures
- Stay informed about animal rights and animal law issues and monitoring news coverage pertaining to the broader landscape of ALDF’s work.
Skills and Experience:
The Animal Legal Defense Fund is seeking an accomplished senior writer who has a proven ability to take complex information and distill it to key messages disseminated to a variety of audiences.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate the following skills, qualities, and characteristics:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Bachelors degree and minimum 10 years experience writing/editing
- Law degree, preferred
- Experience managing copy for various publications
- Familiarity with development and implementation of organizational branding guidelines, a plus
- Self-starter with demonstrated experience creating and implementing new initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to set and achieve goals under deadlines
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize tasks efficiently in a busy office environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and the ability to work in a team environment
- Able to work effectively in a collaborative team environment
- Background in animal protection and demonstrated commitment to the mission of the Animal Legal Defense Fund preferred
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!