Senior Technical Writer at Grafana Labs
Senior Technical Writer
Location: United States
Grafana Labs is the company behind Grafana, an open-source tool for visualizing and analyzing metrics. It’s commonly used for infrastructure and application monitoring, but we’ve also seen installations to monitor things like beehives, power-plants, or even ambulances. Grafana’s mission is to democratize metrics: users can create dashboards that help them get insights into how their applications behave, enabling them to iterate, take action, and improve faster.
As part of our remote-first, cross-functional team focused on Grafana Cloud – our hosted cloud offering – you will work with software developers, product managers, and support to create guides and that help customers use our products to achieve their goals. Reporting to our Head of Self-Service, the Senior Technical Writer will be part of a new and growing team focused on building a great product experience for Grafana Cloud.
What you’ll be doing:
- Analyze documentation needs and make recommendations regarding documentation priorities.
- Write practical guides on how to get started with our products/features and best practices for common use cases.
- Working with team members, create and implement a documentation plan.
- Partner with our engineering teams to create public documentation on our Cloud products: Grafana Cloud for Prometheus Metrics, Graphite Metrics, Loki, worldPing and more.
- Communicate highly complex technical concepts clearly and concisely.
- Write articles for a wide spectrum of customers: those new and experienced with our toolset.
- Coach developers and engineers to improve their writing.
- Review, test, and edit content submitted by internal and external non-writer contributors.
- Advocate for our customers in everything you do.
- Ability to learn and understand complex technical concepts and explain them to developer or layperson audiences
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills.
- Deep empathy for customers.
- Comfortable with ambiguity in a fast-paced environment.
- Comfortable working independently and setting priorities based on business needs.
- Able to learn how to use new software quickly.
- Familiarity with GitHub and open source methodology.
Nice to have:
- API documentation experience
- Familiarity with developer tools and the DevOps ecosystem
- Experienced working within the agile software development lifecycle, Grafana Labs uses Scrum
- At least eight years of experience as a professional technical writer or equivalent.
- A degree in English, Writing, Journalism, Software Development, or similar.
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k, IRA) with a 4% employer contribution match
- 30 days vacation in addition to Public Holidays
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!