SENIOR TEAM LEAD – TECHNOLOGY
Bellroy’s technology team is on the search for a Senior Team Lead to manage the development of a small number of developers at differing experience levels. You will coach them toward their growth goals or learn amazing things from them depending on the day and the technology you’re working with, work with them and the rest of the Bellroy team to understand (and contribute to) the businesses needs and, in our agile environment, help the team ship all of the things!
You will have plenty of time to write code, but (in this role) we’re looking for someone who gets at least as excited about growing and developing their people, their team’s practices & processes, and in making sure that the things your team ships are actually useful (rather than technically what the story description said) as we are in someone who can write excellent code on their own. We also have technical leads who focus on technical reviews, code quality and our enterprise architecture strategy – and you’re welcome to jump in on those things too. We need enough technical leaders to build an innovative yet stable platform. And enough people leaders to help the team learn and grow. We make a clear distinction between these two streams because if you’re a great developer, managing people should not be your only path to career progression.
The majority of our current codebases are in pure Ruby or Ruby on Rails, so you must have at least a working understanding of those technologies. We use React and Elm in the front-end, and we’re starting to move more toward the latter. We’re working toward a headless e-commerce model and re-assessing our technical stack. You will have opportunities to learn and master new programming languages and frameworks (we’re leaning towards Haskell, and have deployed our first production system in it).
A quick note: We’re currently advertising a number of roles, so if this one doesn’t quite tick all of your boxes, check out our Senior Technical Lead position, and if the job you really wish we were advertising is some combination of these advertised roles, apply anyway. As part of your application tell us what you’re really looking for.
YOU COULD BE THE ONE, IF YOU…
- Have a solid technical background in a web application stack like Ruby on Rails
- Get excited about great books and the ideas you can steal from them – technical and non-technical books alike
- Understand and can argue the pros and cons of different software methodologies
- Have experience leading and enjoy empowering other developers
- Think a workplace with dogs, coffee, breakout spaces and casual dresscode sounds like a great place to be
- Want to work for a company that cares about doing good things for the world
YOU PROBABLY AREN’T THE ONE, IF YOU…
- Prefer working on your own, and staying away from face-to-face conversations (in that case consider applying for this Tech Lead role)
- Care more about tabs vs spaces than Scrum vs Kanban
- Are looking for a key role in technology selection and architecture (Tech Lead role)
- Work just to pay the bills, no matter who is paying you or what you’re working on
WHY WORK FOR BELLROY?
We have carefully built our culture on radical effectiveness. Our credo is “smart people with good intentions who get shit done” (yes, really). We have an awesome workplace in the heart of Fitzroy with free snacks and coffee (and a smaller workspace in Bells Beach).
Bellroy’s mission is to inspire better ways to carry; use business as a force for good; and help the world – and our crew – flourish. We make great carry products that delight people in their everyday lives. We help our staff love their work and grow as people. We donate a portion of our revenue to some of the world’s most effective charities. We are constantly looking for better ways to do… well, everything. Want to help us?
LOCATION AND HOURS
This is a full-time role located in our Fitzroy office (in Melbourne, Australia) or anywhere in the world