Senior Software Engineer, Developer Experience
Location: Anywhere in the Americas
Particle is hiring a Senior Software Engineer to join the Developer Experience team as we endeavor to create an intuitive, powerful suite of tools and resources that delight customers and help them build beyond their expectations. Particle has the largest community of IoT developers in the industry. We make hard problems seem easy and support our developers throughout the product lifecycle from prototyping through production and beyond.
You’ll work closely every day with a spectacular and diverse team of excellent communicators, and because this is IoT, you’ll collaborate with folks across the fullest possible stack, from electrical engineers and firmware engineers to experts in mobile UX, DevSecOps, cellular carrier infrastructure, and low level networking protocols.
Do you enjoy building tools to make your job easier? Do you go the extra mile to ensure users of your software have a reliably great experience? Are you able to drill deep into a problem and solve it no matter where in the stack it happens to reside? We’re looking for an experienced engineer able to work across ecosystems and communities to put together best-in-class utilities that bring joy to their users.
We care about our people. We provide weeks of onboarding content to everyone who joins the company on strategy, go-to-market, technical topics, the various product offerings, people and values, the different departments and their goals, and more. We do pulse surveys, engagement surveys, and 360 feedback. Your manager will care about your career path and coach you to achieve it. You’ll also have a Culture Ambassador right from the start to help you learn to navigate all the unwritten stuff.
What You’ll Do
- Develop and maintain our suite of developer tools and services including the Particle CLI, Particle Workbench, and Particle Web IDE, as well as associated SDKs and APIs
- Participate in code reviews, ensuring predictable, high-quality, and reliable software delivery through automated testing and continuous delivery systems
- Monitor customer feedback, actively contribute to feature planning and scoping to influence the direction of Particle’s developer tools and services
- Author technical specifications for new features in collaboration with a cross-functional team of engineering leaders, product managers, designers, and customer advocates
- Clearly communicate tasks and milestones keeping stakeholders updated on progress, challenges, and next steps
- Have extraordinary written and spoken communication skills
- Be familiar with one or more lower-level systems languages like C/C++, Rust, or Go
- Have experience with RDBMSs and SQL as well as NoSQL options like Redis and MongoDB
- Have experience writing automated tests and working with CI systems
- Understand HTTP, WebSockets, REST APIs and relevant use cases
- Be comfortable with git, with a strong understanding of the GitHub platform
- Live our values: Caring, Curiosity, Openness, Trust, Joy
Nice to Have
The following items, while definitely not required, would make you more qualified.
- Experience with Docker and/or Kubernetes
- Experience with C/C++ tooling for embedded development
- Familiarity with distributed systems
- Experience working remotely as part of a globally distributed team
- Experience maintaining open-source projects
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU
- Competitive health, dental, and vision benefits
- Stock options
- Commuter/telecommuter allowances
- Flexible and open vacation policy
- Home internet reimbursement
- $1000/year learning & development stipend
- Corporate phone
- Monthly mentorship stipend
- Generous parental leave policy
Particle is the most widely-used Internet of Things (IoT) platform. We’ve built the largest community of developers and engineers in the industry, and we’ve shipped hundreds of thousands of devices to 170 countries. Hundreds of IoT products, from smart home appliances to industrial equipment, are built on Particle’s platform. We are committed to making it easy for anyone to get their products online, and we support product creators of any size from Fortune 500s to blossoming entrepreneurs.
We are inspired by our mission of enabling the next technological revolution, and by the incredible products that people build on our platform, especially those with a positive social impact in the Particle for Good program. We also support each other and our community by embracing our core values of caring, curiosity, openness, trust, and joy.
Everyone is welcome at Particle. We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace, and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.