Senior Software Engineer – Data Platform at Etsy
Title: Senior Software Engineer, Data Platform
Location: Brooklyn, NY or Remote
As an Etsy employee, you can do the work you love, be yourself, and make an impact in the lives of millions. Our commitments to diversity and inclusion, team culture and the spaces where we work all reflect our mission to keep commerce human.
As a member of our Data Platform team, you’ll help us build tools and infrastructure for collecting and processing data in batch and streaming pipelines. Your work will enable other developers and data scientists to write custom data pipelines that power data science, machine learning, and product development.
You should have experience building and supporting at scale data processing platforms, and collaborating with other teams that use them. Experience building applications using one of the major cloud providers is a bonus but not required. We value curiosity, passion, responsibility and generosity of spirit.
We primarily write in Python, Java, and Scala and use technologies like Hadoop, Kafka, Airflow, Kubernetes, Avro, and GCP services like Dataproc, Dataflow, and BigQuery.
This is a full time role. Our team is headquartered in Brooklyn, but we support remote work and accept remote applicants.
ABOUT THE ROLE
- We build highly-performant systems that are maintainable and easy to understand by selecting and integrating with the best of current technologies.
- Our team is responsible for developing and monitoring our batch and streaming environments and improving or fixing them over time.
- We also write ETL code and advise other teams on how to improve theirs.
- We build a lot of tools and libraries in Java, Scala, or Python.
- Understand that being an effective software engineer is about communicating with people as much as it is about writing code.
- Are willing to work with and improve code you did not originally write.
- Are generous with your time and experience, and can mentor and learn from other engineers.
- Can tackle unconstrained problems and know when to seek help.
- Have familiarity with a few of the following: advantages and limitations of distributed systems, writing ETL pipelines, building and monitoring cloud services, and using or maintaining batch data processing environments like Hadoop or Spark in Dataproc, and stream processing systems like Kafka Streams, Spark, or Dataflow
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!