Senior Software Engineer, Telegraf
Telegraf is a community of over 2000 Telegraf contributors that have helped build a Go open-source plugin-driven agent for collection and reporting of metrics from over 150 different input system, network, database, and sensor types. It translates the inputs and forwards those metrics and events to over 30 output types including InfluxDB. Organizing a Go project with this level of diversity and size is uniquely challenging. There are actively used plugins from docker and github to mysql and memcached (and of course, InfluxDB), so it’s a broad and fascinating ecosystem.
Are you passionate about open source, you get why it exists, why it works, and where it makes the most sense? Are you naturally curious and comfortable diving into varying codebases, getting productively lost, finding your way back out, and leaving the place better than you found it? Are you an experienced engineer who is ready for new challenges, more influence, control and massive opportunity for growth by joining a rapidly growing product company only a few years into their journey, the clear leader in working with Time Series data, the fastest-growing database technology on the planet*?
If so, we’ve been looking for you!
InfluxData is looking for an engineer that is passionate about working in open source and DevOps community, embraces modern communication styles and mediums, and loves connecting to community members through events and online engagement programs. You would help to guide and level-up our engineering teams on OSS initiatives. We want someone who gets pumped from the idea of creating sustainable communities that continue to exist long after you are gone and is ready to make a tremendous impact to our open source culture here at InfluxData.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Partner with the Open Source community to continuously improve and expand Telegraf and the Telegraf community and ecosystem
- Effectively troubleshooting issues and addressing bugs, requests, and ideas
- Communicating in writing and developing publically with the Telegraf/InfluxDB community
- Directly contribute while soliciting and organizing community contribution to articles, guides, application architecture references, and code
- Diving into varying codebases, getting productively lost, finding your way back out, and leaving the place better than you found it!
What You’ll Bring To The Team:
- 5+ years working on system level, networking, and backend code
- Passion to engineering and ship enterprise-grade code that hundreds of thousands of enterprise systems depend on every day
- Experience working in open source communities and demonstrated success at leading and mentoring colleagues.
- Committer/maintainer in open source communities, or leadership experience in open source communities
- 3+ years of experience managing open source projects
- Advanced experience in programming languages like Python or Go
- Familiarity with Telegraf
- Experience in testing and version control and all the other tools and techniques that allow you to ensure production-quality code used in a wide variety of system architectures across various on-prem, cloud, hybrid, and IoT environments.
InfluxData is the creator of the leading time series database, InfluxDB. The InfluxData platform is built on the open source projects – Telegraf, InfluxDB, Chronograf, and Kapacitor.
We’re a Series D-funded startup, backed by Sapphire Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Mayfield Fund, Trinity Ventures, and Battery Ventures, and a Y Combinator success story.
We offer fantastic benefits including:
- Medical/ dental/vision insurance with 100% coverage for employees and dependents
- Company contribution to FSA and Commuter benefits
- Open PTO – take the time you need
- Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- 401k (non matching)
- ….and more!
InfluxData is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.