Senior Software Engineer
US – Remote
Type: Full Time
SpatialKey is looking for an extraordinary Senior Software Engineer to join its lean and nimble team!
SpatialKey is a Software as a Service (SaaS) geospatial analytics platform. We create APIs and applications that let enterprise customers take large amounts of data they might have about their businesses and turn them into information they can use. SpatialKey is reinventing the way insurers transform data into actionable intelligence. SpatialKey solutions amplify the value of insured data and expert content through unmatched user experiences and breakthrough geospatial business analytics. Through focused analytics and agile visualizations, SpatialKey helps more than 100 insurers understand global risk accumulations and composition, respond to live catastrophe events and manage exposure actively at the point of underwriting.
We’re a 100% remote company of about 35 people, with about half of that being tech so you get to join a small team and make a difference right away. You’ll serve as a technical lead within a development team that focuses on our financial modeling and accumulations solutions. You’ll work alongside subject matter experts and engineers that will help you come up to speed on both the domain and our products. You will have the opportunity to use a wide range of backend technologies and help implement our product vision around insurance specific use cases. If you have a desire to develop and ship complex enterprise applications in a team environment while leading and mentoring others, we should talk.
The following are areas of focus for this role:
- Write, maintain and debug production-level server code primarily in Java with some Scala specific to Spark
- Cross train and become the technical owner and goto resource for financial modeling and accumulations
- Strive to understand all of the moving pieces under the hood and align the teams work to our architecture principles
- Understand the business goals of a project and our product by working closely alongside product owner and SME’s to translate requirements into functional code
- Understand exactly what work is being shipped each release and partner with the business owner, and other team leads to be responsible for the release process
Why work with us?
We are committed to building a high-growth business alongside very supportive clients, who are also pursuing a competitive edge and innovation. We have been in business since 2011; and have strong brand recognition and equity, a profit-positive balance sheet, an exciting growth story, and a proven vision. We are committed to an autonomous and remote work environment with headquarters in Boulder, CO, but with our entire team working remotely across the globe. We are growing deliberately by carefully hiring the best people in the industry.
About the job
We are looking for someone with a solid base of programming knowledge, leadership skills, experience owning a portion of a product, a love of open source software and a continuous drive to learn something new daily. We are constantly trying to find new ways to innovate and make our product better. This provides you with the opportunity to work with a wide array of technologies. Our current backend stack is Linux, Tomcat, Spring, PostgreSQL with PostGIS, MongoDB, ElasticSearch, Spark, and Maven along with several other technologies, Our SaaS solution is deployed to Amazon Web Services (AWS) and we take advantage of several different AWS solutions. We may not know everything about each of these, but we’re constantly listening, learning, teaching, and contributing
Being a distributed team takes great communication skills. You can’t be afraid to raise your hand if you’re stuck on something. We need someone who has the ability to work independently and function with little direction while at the same time leading others. That doesn’t mean we will leave you on an island. You will be surrounded by strong technical resources willing to help and answer questions but ultimately the work you deliver is your responsibility. You should be able to work autonomously and in a small agile team environment. You also need to be self-motivated and continuously keeping up with new technology to drive innovation within SpatialKey.
- 5 years of software development experience
- Ability to be proactive and work independently with limited direction
- Strong skills in analytic computing and algorithms
- Good communication skills and ability to function in a remote environment.
- Experience with Java
- Excellent problem-solving capabilities
(understands how to translate a problem into code)
- Linux command line experience
- Hands-on experience with IntelliJ, Eclipse or other IDE development tools
Nice to have Experience:
- Experience with distributed systems
- Experience with Spring & Spring Boot
- PostgreSQL & PostGIS or GIS related experience (GDAL, ESRI…etc)
- Strong mathematical background, including statistics and numerical analysis
- Experience developing, testing and consuming REST APIs
- SQL and RDBMS skills – able to generate and debug queries.
- Experience and knowledge of cloud enabled services/applications (esp. Amazon Web Services)
- Experience with Continuous Integration and related tools
(Jenkins, Hudson, Maven)
- Test-driven development