Senior Software Engineer at BallotReady
Senior Software Engineer
BallotReady is searching for a Senior Software Engineer to join our team in working to bring an unparalleled database on U.S. government to voters and constituents nationwide.
Who We Are
BallotReady is an award-winning startup working to help every voter in America cast an informed vote on every race, every election. We create digital nonpartisan voter guides and build tools to help advocacy groups and campaigns inform and mobilize voters, powered by the most comprehensive database on every level of government.
In 2020, we worked with organizations such as Snapchat, Tiktok, Spotify, and the Miami Heat to inform and turn out over 35 million voters. Now, we’re focused on upcoming elections in 2021and innovative methods for empowering communities to hold elected officials accountable and take effective action year-round on the issues they care about.
What You’ll Do
The Senior Software Engineer, who can be based anywhere in the U.S. and will report to the Vice President of Engineering, is responsible for the following:
- Directing cross-functional project teams to build internal- and client-facing deliverables
- Leading collaboration across team and service boundaries to resolve technical challenges
- Serving as a technical expert in one or more areas (backend, frontend, infrastructure, etc.) to break down complex projects into simpler systems and “level up” others’ skills and knowledge
- Guarding the health of code, infrastructure, and systems through strategic advocacy and problem-solving
Who You Are
To succeed in this job, you must excel at:
- People Development: You’ve mentored, coached, and developed multiple colleagues at the same time, and seen the resulting gains. You’re a team player excited to share your knowledge, and learn from those around you.
- Project Leadership: You’ve organized and led diverse project teams to achieve goals. You bring a valuable perspective in shaping the strategic direction of a project, and communicating that direction across team and service boundaries to solve problems.
- Making the Complex Accessible: You know how to break down complex projects into simple systems that can be effectively built and maintained by less experienced engineers.
- Technical Expertise: You’re a pro at one or more technical areas (i.e., backend, frontend, infrastructure). You know how to identify system design issues, and propose appropriate solutions.
If you were here today, you’d be:
- Collaborating with Product and Data teams on designing the architecture for a suite of tools to streamline ingesting election data from around the country.
- Leading a team of engineers maintaining our internal and external facing APIs while stressing the importance of forward- and backwards-compatibility (you know that API design is hard!).
- Pair programming with fellow engineers to share your experience building robust software. You advocate for well-tested code and take the time to discuss different approaches to coding problems.
What Else You Should Know
At BallotReady, we’re strong believers in flexibility in exchange for responsibility. We hire exceptional people who are excited about our mission, and give them the freedom and leadership to act in support of constituents first. Our work is driven by our core values, which we encourage interested applicants to explore.
BallotReady is an equal opportunity employer and we value having staff who reflect the diversity of all constituents and voters. We especially encourage people of color, LGBQ people, transgender and gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities to apply for this role. We know that the more we live out our commitment to building a diverse and inclusive team, the better our work will be.
Annual Salary: Between $120,000 and $140,000, based on BallotReady’s set criteria for aligning pay to demonstrated technical skills and professional experience. Please note that BallotReady uses this standardized process rather than negotiating salary in keeping with our commitment to equity.
Benefits: equity, healthcare, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, 401k platform, FSA, commuter benefits, unlimited PTO.
Location: Flexible – we are a remote-first organization.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!