Senior Services Project Manager
- Full time
Ciena may well be the most important technology company you’ve never heard of. The innovations that wow us (driverless cars), and those we now take for granted (the ability to mobile-stream your favorite show) are the products of ingenuity from some brilliant and forward-thinking companies. But those companies rely on Ciena, another vanguard of innovation, to create and advance the underlying networks that bring their breakthroughs to our doorsteps. VR, AI, IOT, 5G … literally none of it would be possible without the mind-boggling technology that makes the internet itself work. For more than 25 years, Ciena has been the global leader in networking strategy, and our technology has been part of the critical infrastructure running within the most advanced companies in the world.
What will you do at Ciena?
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Full Account Level management responsibilities of the Services Project Management team responsible for the successful implementation of EF&I projects, primarily circuit grooms/migrations within Centurylink.
- Ensure Service target margins are achieved, contributing to accurate revenue recognition, ensuring committed schedules and deliverables are met, and that projects meet Customers expectations for quality and service.
- Services Project Managers may support pre-sales activities, providing project management subject matter expertise and contributing to Customer proposals and RFP responses, as required. Deployment Project Managers typically interface with the Ciena Program Managers, Customer project management and Ciena Operations teams, Sales, Bid Management, Service Delivery Groups, and Finance to ensure project deliverables and financial targets are met.
- Experience with Huawei OptiX OSN 6800 & 3800 as well as Infinera DTN-X & DTN and Nokia 1830 products preferred
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide overall direction and management, often over an extensive project team, to implement large, complex projects and programs within a Customer Network, e.g. in service network consolidations, competitor rips etc, or a large volume of various size projects and hosted solutions involving 3rd party products/applications.
- Based on input form Sales and Manufacturing, Develops the EF&I project forecast as it relates to material and distribution.
- Oversees and ensures proper planning to meet sales forecasts. Make certain that deviations to the project schedule are investigated and properly followed up.
- Ensures proper contact with customers relating to field project activities.
- Works closely with Engineering on project implementation within the E, F & I Services Organization.
- Partners directly with internal and external customers to translate requirements into structured and executable tasks and milestones.
- May be responsible for multiple projects encompassing a product area or supply chain area.
- Will manage and support less senior Deployment Project Managers in their duties
- Facilitate communication between internal groups, internal functions, and outside suppliers/customers as necessary in support of the project execution
- May be required to contribute to process management optimization efforts associated with project management
- Document and communicate project status, obstacles and resolutions to management.
- Accountable for developing and coordinating carefully designed and approved action plans to successfully complete E,F & I projects.
- Act as the primary point of contact for all aspects of the project
- Assure all parties maintain close communication and coordination regarding project status and milestones.
- Maintain project schedules and report to Management regularly or as agreed.
- Mentor, train and develop entry level and other Deployment Project Managers.
- Participate in, or lead, process improvement initiatives as assigned.
- Identify PM requirements, and participate in the selection process, to establish a PM team that will provide timely and effective execution of project.
- Lead subordinate SPM’s in day-to-day assignments.
- Provides a leadership role for the work group through advanced knowledge
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in related field from a college or university with six to eight years related experience;
- Equivalent combination of education and experience
- Advance degree preferred
- PMP Certified
- Customer Focused – Acts to add value to customer relationship thru concrete actions and decisions
- Critical Thinking / Analysis- Analyzes Multi-dimensional problems; gathers information over extended periods of time and applies complex concepts to generate possible solutions.
- Judgment – Makes Complex decisions/Judgment taking into account multiple alternatives.
- Decisiveness – Delivers decisions in the face of completing alternatives
- Developing Others – Creates Development Opportunities to foster the teams learning
- Organizational Awareness – Understands formal and informal structure and the climate / culture of the organization
- Understands JIT (Just In Time) concepts as they pertain to EF&I Field Projects
- Outstanding planning, scheduling, and coordination skills
- Superior Outsourcing Management ability
- A hands-on Manager that will manage by Team Building
- Is self motivated and can work from high level departmental goals
- A team player that will work well in a cross functional team environment
- Must have proficiency with various software applications including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Microsoft Project.
- Experience with MRP/ERP systems (e.g. Oracle) a plus.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Rewarding experience. Meaningful outcomes.
Making a difference in people’s lives through design and implementation of leading network technologies. That’s what motivates us.
A distinct way to work
Free thinking, free discussion, and collaboration are the norm. Expect more satisfying outcomes – both personal and professional.
Ciena values the diversity of our workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, gender or age.
Ciena is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise Ciena in a timely fashion of the specific needs / accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to any specific needs / accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
What you can expect from us
- You will receive notification of your successful application
- Successful applicants will be contacted by Talent Acquisition for an initial discussion
- If suitable you will be considered for the short list and our formal interview process