Senior Research Scientist
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
The Global Product organization in Pearson designs and develops research-based products to deliver improved learner outcomes. The Efficacy and Research division of the Global Product organization is looking for a highly motivated, self-driven Research Scientist to conduct work around knowledge and skills in our Learning Research and design team. The successful candidate will work with a wide range of Pearson products to help define and map target knowledge and skills. The core mission of the Efficacy and Research team is to improve the impact Pearson’s products and services have on learner outcomes; thus, the position provides the opportunity to engage in cutting-edge research and to make a substantial contribution to learning and instruction.
The role reports to the Director, Knowledge and Skills in the Global Product Organization and will involve the application of a variety of assessment, and particularly domain modelling, techniques to product development.
- Lead a programme of research and development to support the company’s strategic priorities around defining knowledge and skill levels as required for product development.
- Conduct research around the question of what learners at different stages should know and be able to do.
- For topics identified as priorities, conduct, commission or synthesize available research and translate it into forms that are relevant, engaging and practical to support product and service development. May involve defining domain-specific skills as well as cross-domain skills (e.g., soft skills – collaboration, communication, critical thinking, etc)
- Develop a close partnership with both product teams and other teams supporting research, design, and development.
- Act as an expert resource in supporting the business to understand the key role of research-based knowledge and skill definitions in accelerating effective business propositions.
- Support the business to represent research-based knowledge and skills definitions in the context of our products via sales/marketing channels in such a way as to drive growth by engaging a variety of Pearson consumers and stakeholders
- Contribute to Pearson’s reputation as a research-driven learning company by communicating and presenting research findings through a variety of channels including internal reports/videos/blogs/face to face workshops, conference presentations peer reviewed journal papers, and executive summaries
- Implementation of research-based models of knowledge and skills in key products, including models of learning progression, misconceptions, and skill relationships
- Development of processes to enable product teams to define domain and student models based on expert feedback and other sources
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- PhD or other doctoral degree preferred, with a focus in one of the following areas: learning science, cognitive science, educational psychology, educational technology, instructional systems design, or related discipline
- 3 or more years of post-doctoral research experience
- Experience in the definition and modeling of knowledge and skills and their development. May include elicitation from experts, job task analysis, knowledge engineering, or other techniques.
- Experience conducting primary and secondary research around skill development
- Ability to rapidly establish a strong rapport and manage a variety of stakeholders
- Ability to work in a collaborative, entrepreneurial environment on high impact problems
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Collaborator and communicator– Experience working collaboratively on assessment projects with individuals without assessment knowledge
- Strong advocate for Education Research
- Completed graduate level courses in Psychological or Educational Statistics
Desirable Skills and Qualifications
- A record of research publication in peer reviewed journals, and presentations at professional conferences
- Experience working with cross-discipline research programmes in geographically dispersed teams
- Established relationships with external partners to support the development of our products and services
- Expertise in teaching or assessing Math
- Expertise in teaching or assessing soft skills
Primary Location: US-RE-Remote
Work Locations: US-Remote Remote
Job: Research and Development
Organization: Global Product
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1908837
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.