Who we are
Northstar is a fintech company that enables employers to offer financial wellness, compensation, and benefits advice as a benefit. Northstar supports employees’ key financial decisions through 1-on-1 CFPs® and innovative financial management tools.
We’re looking for talented software engineers, who are excited about our vision and mission of democratizing financial wellness, and passionate about building quality user experiences. Our team is very collaborative, and we prioritize quality engineering as well as an amazing product experience.
Skills & Experience – The right candidate:
- Has at least 5 years of professional experience developing production-quality product.
- Is an expert with Ruby on Rails and its associated ecosystem of technologies
- Has 2+ years experience with our associated ecosystem of technologies: GraphQL, TypeScript, React, Postgres, & Heroku
- Has a strong focus on backend development, including APIs, maintainable systems design, and code architecture
- Is also able to contribute to full-stack and frontend development in (Rails + React)
- Writes well-structured, tested, and secure code with little feedback or guidance.
- Is able to break down large projects into concrete objectives and then ship daily to achieve them
What you’ll do:
- Take full ownership for engineering features across all levels of the stack, from end to end, idea to production.
- Code quickly and test thoroughly, balancing velocity and code health. Write well-documented, clean, testable code.
- Collaborate with the multi-disciplinary Northstar team, from other engineers to designers, marketers, sales, and financial advising. We do our best work when we all work together to come up with the solution.
- Work with the team to reveal user needs and develop feature requirements. Work closely with the design team to define and build product, adapting to customer feedback, and making decisions around tradeoffs.
Example engineering challenges at Northstar:
- Multi-Platform Consumer Product: With our fintech expertise, we’re building a best-in-class experience to manage your finances. We focus on ease of use, and understand through behavioral psychology frameworks what methods are most effective in motivating behavior change.
- Banking Infrastructure & Automation: We are in a golden age of banking infrastructure and APIs. We are combining the latest banking APIs in a unique way to demystify finances and support our advisors.
- Future of Financial Advisory Tools: Empower financial advisors to do their best work and scale their time.
- B2B Tools: We have 2 customers: individuals employers. Employers have a unique set of needs and problems, so you’ll have the opportunity to build for a varied range of customers.
- You are passionate about our mission and the opportunity to make a real difference in people’s lives.
- You enjoy being a generalist, ready to learn and build with the right tools for each problem. You focus on the problem, rather than on the tool.
- You are highly autonomous, but thrive with collaboration with a team.
- When faced with open-ended problems,
- You are a life-long learner, humble, and constantly looking to improve.
- Clarity of communication is important to you, both spoken and written.
- You are highly empathetic to teammates, customers – everyone.
- You love working with and learning from teammates across functions.
- You you build trust through transparently & proactively distributing information about your choices, actions, and status.
- You enjoy thinking about tradeoffs and helping to drive smart and balanced decisions.
Why you might be excited about us
- We’ve hit an inflection point with product-market fit. We have passionate, paying customers, and are scaling quickly.
- Our cross-functional team is uniquely suited to solve this problem. Titles are fluid, when everyone contributes to solving a problem in their unique ways.
- The types of product and engineering problems we’re solving have both breadth and depth, and for several different personas.
- We’re mission-driven. We founded Northstar on the belief that every person deserves the best objective, personalized, and affordable financial management. We don’t make money from secret referrals fees, and are completely aligned with the customer.
- We invest in the personal and professional growth of every team member.
- Competitive salary, equity, and benefits to support your whole life.
- Flexible vacation and time off policy, and work-life balance.
All About Northstar
Through Northstar, you can get a financial plan, work with your own financial advisor, automate and optimize your finances through automated transfers, and achieve your goals like paying off debt, saving, and investing. By combining the empathy and insights of human advisors with the convenience of automation, Northstar democratizes the best financial guidance for everyone.
We have raised more than $10M from M13, Foundation Capital, Workday Ventures, Parade Ventures, and top founders and executives at NerdWallet, Plaid, Adobe, Amazon, SunRun, and Yelp. Northstar’s vision is at the intersection of fintech, HR tech, financial advising, enterprise sales, and consumer product.
We’ve built a lovable and highly engaging product, and our customers include leading employers like Zoom, ServiceTitan, Thumbtack, Invitae, and Medium.
You’ll join a multidisciplinary team of senior engineers, designers, marketers, and financial advisors. Our team was early at Facebook, Pinterest, and others, and have built products for hundreds of millions of users. In addition, our co-founder and CEO has deep fintech experience, having invested in companies like Coinbase, Guideline, Even, Jetty, Oscar, and more.
This is a permanent full-time position based in the US. Please note that authorization to work in the US is a precondition of employment at Northstar – visa sponsorship (including H-1B) is not available at this time.