Senior Quality Engineer at Red Hat
Senior Quality Engineer
Job ID: 74313
Category: Quality Engineering
At Red Hat, we connect an innovative community of customers, partners, and contributors to deliver an open source stack of trusted, high-performing solutions. We offer cloud, Linux, middleware, storage, and virtualization technologies, together with award-winning global customer support, consulting, and implementation services. Red Hat is a rapidly growing company supporting more than 90% of Fortune 500 companies.
The Red Hat Quality Engineering (QE) team is looking for a Quality Engineer to join us in Westford, MA. In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in the way the kernel works. You will gain an extensive understanding of a variety of technologies including Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and kernel. You will make sure that our solutions fulfill the highest possible enterprise quality, performance, usability, and supportability criteria. As a Quality Engineer, you’ll serve as the last instance before applications are released to the public. You’ll create and carry out test plans, research new features, and develop automated tests. You’ll need to have the ability to think creatively and adapt to rapid change, as well as a willingness to learn new things.
Primary job responsibilities
- Work with the complete Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) solutions portfolio and be responsible for the delivery of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)
- Create and review test plans and suggest improvements for solution planning processes
- Develop new automated and manual tests; develop frameworks to ease test development and automation to speed up implementation
- Take responsibility for kernel testing; supervise that it is done successfully and in a timely manner
- Analyze and prioritize quality risks and identify tests required to mitigate them
- Monitor the automatic implementation of the existing test scripts and debug failures in the test cases
- Document and maintain test specifications and test reports
- Mentor junior team members
- Contribute bug fixes to upstream and provide demos of the solutions and technologies
- 2+ years of experience working in Linux QE or software engineering
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science or a related engineering field or relevant professional experience
- Familiarity with scripting using Python or Bash
- Debugging, troubleshooting, and analytical skills
- Ability to remain patient and diligent when working on detailed tasks
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with a global team
- Ability to work on multiple tasks under strict deadlines
- Solid written and verbal communication skills in English
The following are considered a plus:
- Solid skills and background in Linux and kernel
- Experience with software test planning, test cases design, test script automation, and documentation
- Experience with virtualization and cloud computing
- Experience with common vulnerabilities and exposures (CVE) system and its related solution delivery processes
Red Hat is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We review applications for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!