Senior Project Manager (remote, work from almost anywhere in the world)
- Accra, GH – Remote OK
About The Engine Room
The Engine Room is an international, multi-disciplinary team that is singularly focused on supporting partners to use data and technology to increase their impact. Our work with partners is predominantly in the fields of Transparency and Accountability, Human Rights, and Environmental Justice, though our methods are applicable to all civil society organisations and we work with a broad range of organisations in many other sectors. Our entire team works remotely, the internet is our office.
The Engine Room is a global team and we actively seek to diverse perspectives, experiences and voices in all areas of our team and in our work. Our organization prioritizes empathy, respect, humility, flexibility, fun and a healthy work-life balance. We highly encourage individuals from all areas of the world, backgrounds, experiences and identities to apply to join our team.
This is an entirely remote position. If you have reliable and fast internet, are based in a country between the time zones of GMT-6 and GMT+7 and think this position is perfect for you, then we encourage you to apply.
We are seeking an experienced project manager with a critical but pragmatic perspective on the role of data in social justice and advocacy. The candidate will join our Research, Engagement and Communities team and work primarily on an upcoming project on digital identity, with the possibility of managing more responsible data focused projects.
The project manager will work closely with the team on projects in the following areas:
- Responsible data (RD): over the past 4 years we’ve supported organisations to take a rights-based approach to working with data, developing policies and working on implementing those policies across the organisation, considering the ethical, legal, privacy and security-related implications of using data in new and different ways. Past projects in this category include developing RD policies for organisations like the Open Tech Fund, or German organisation GIZ; or supporting Oxfam in considering what a responsible approach to using biometrics looks like.
- Research and Engagement: we carry out research projects ourselves, and we also design projects to support in-country researchers to develop insights that are informed by social, cultural and technical factors. (Examples of these projects can be seen on this page: https://www.theengineroom.org/research/)
Scope & Requirements
- The regional lead position is full-time (5 days/40 hours per week) and remote.
- The role is compensated competitively, based on experience and location.
- The ideal candidate would be available to start immediately.
- Fast, reliable internet is essential
- Must be based between the time zones of GMT-6 and GMT+7
The Ideal Candidate
- Is an experienced project manager, confident in managing complex budgets, and keeping track of various moving pieces in order to meet deadlines
- Is comfortable meeting funders reporting needs for grants, such as carrying out grant reporting.
- Has demonstrable interest in or experience working on topics related to responsible data, such as data ethics, privacy, data protection, or other related areas.
- Has some level of interest in digital ID and the role that civil society can play in advocating for better digital ID systems
- Is a critical optimist’ about the role that data can play in strengthening social justice and advocacy work able to see both the positive side, and the negative one, and use that critical approach to push for better practices
- Has experience working with people from different countries and cultures
- Has some level of experience in social justice and advocacy, particularly relating to technology/data in some way.
- Is quick to learn, curious about different approaches, and comfortable admitting what they don’t know.
- Has some level of experience working on research, which makes up a big portion of the projects that they will be working on.
- Has some experience managing projects remotely
To apply, please provide an updated CV and a cover letter that outlines why you are excited about this specific role and why you think you would be a great fit. You will also be asked to respond to a few application questions as part of the submission process. Candidates must apply via the link on this page. Incomplete submissions or submissions via email will not be considered. We look forward to getting your application!
This is a rolling application process and we will be reviewing submissions as they come in. We highly encourage interested candidates to apply immediately.