Senior Program Manager
Job Location: US
Job ID: 11219
Job Location: United States
Category: Project Management
Do you want to be a part of something innovative and cutting edge? If your answer is yes, then join our team of project managers, designers, and software specialists that are smart, creative and excited about the impact they are making on students’ education around the nation. American Institutes for Research (“AIR”) Assessment provides assessment services and technical assistance to school systems nationwide.
The Senior Program Manager will be located in Washington, D.C. (remote opportunities for industry experienced candidates). Looking to hire Senior Program Managers at varying levels.
Senior Program Managers assume overall responsibility for managing all aspects of state testing projects at AIR. They must be able to work collaboratively in a fast paced environment; anticipate problems and come up with creative methods of solving them; develop strong, positive, constructive relationships with senior-level state clients and multiple stakeholders; manage project teams; and make sure that quality control procedures are adhered to in order to produce high quality assessments within deadline and budget. They must be able to work in an environment where project requirements often change and evolve, and must be comfortable seeking out information and advice, when necessary. They must be able to conceptualize how all the parts of a complex project fit together and what a change to one part will mean for the other parts. Successful candidates will create a proactive culture in which the efficient creation of high quality products is second nature.
The responsibilities of the Senior Program Manager include:
- Managing all aspects of complex, large-scale assessment programs in a high security environment often with high-stakes attached
- Managing the transition of large-scale paper and pencil testing programs to an online, computer-adaptive format while working closely with senior-level clients at the State Department of Education
- Developing and implementing processes, procedures, and schedules for meeting project deliverables and client needs.
- Working with state clients to ensure that all plans and schedules are viable, that the state understands their roles and deadlines, and that clear lines of communication are established
- Chairing and facilitating high-level client and sub-contractor meetings with multiple participants and guiding discussions among multiple stakeholders to reach concrete decisions
- Developing a master schedule that reflects client needs and team’s work requirements
- Monitoring schedule, deadlines and deliveries to ensure project commitments are executed on time
- Communicating schedule and any changes to project staff
- Working directly with senior level clients to provide solutions to day-to-day operational issues
- Ensuring scope changes are reflected in contracts, budgets, activities, and schedules
- Communicating scope and budget changes to team members
- Managing team leads for item development, technical, reporting, website, software and operations and making sure that each team receives required guidance
- Keeping AIR senior management informed of any potential risks, potential missed deadlines or budget over-runs
- Managing subcontractors
- Monitoring budgets
- Minimum education: Bachelor degree required, M.B.A., M.A. in relevant field, or the equivalent preferred
- Minimum of 5 years, but prefer 10 years plus, of progressively increasing responsibility managing tasks and projects in a fast-paced environment
- Experience working directly with senior-level clients
- Must have experience working in large-scale assessment
- PMP certification preferred
- Experience working with on-line, secure delivery systems a plus
AIR Assessment is one of America’s leading K -12 educational assessment entities, currently holding prime contracts for educational testing and scoring in many states. AIR Assessment is a national leader in computer based adaptive assessments; a market that is rapidly growing. We focus on providing our clients with customized assessments that not only measure student achievement against state standards, but also provide meaningful score reports that can help students, parents, and educators address any areas of student weakness. Our environment is fast-paced and requires people at all levels who are willing to roll up their sleeves to get the work done on time while maintaining high quality. As a part of AIR, a not-for-profit organization, we are more than 1,900 people working to improve lives in communities domestically and around the world. Our mission calls for us to turn the best research into practice, which we do in every arena in which we work.
Please note, each section of the application is required in order for you to be considered for this opportunity. If you do not complete the required screening questions, or if you close your browser before completing each section of the application, your application will not be submitted for this position.
American Institutes for Research is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to excellence through diversity. Minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.
American Institutes for Research’s commitment to Diversity goes beyond legal compliance to its full integration in our strategy, operations and work environment. Diversity is valued and Inclusion is reflected in all efforts to recruit, develop, and engage the diverse staff needed to accomplish our mission.