Senior Privacy Counsel at NerdWallet
Senior Privacy Counsel
- Location: San Francisco, CA or Remote (Based in the U.S.)
NerdWallet is seeking a Senior Privacy Counsel to be a part of its growing legal team. As an innovator in the financial space, we deal with novel issues every day that require cross-functional work across NerdWallet’s data, marketing, engineering, and product teams. We’re looking for a thoughtful and strategic lawyer to join our growing legal team as a Senior Privacy Counsel. You will be responsible for advising the company on all legal issues related data privacy and security. Issues you will handle include overall privacy strategy, product compliance, vendor management, business partner data handling requirements, and employee training. The ability to work with our product, data, and engineering teams to understand how data is collected, maintained, and used in our systems and products is essential.
The Senior Privacy Counsel should have excellent judgment in balancing legal risks with business strategy and a proven ability to quickly ramp-up, support multiple projects, learn new areas of law, and advise executives in a fast-paced environment. We are looking for a highly adaptable person who loves getting into the details of the Company’s systems, enjoys the tension between risk and business, and can handle ambiguity and rapidly shifting priorities with flexibility.
Where you can make an impact:
- Advising all levels of the company on all aspects of data and privacy laws, including CCPA, CPRA, GDPR, and GLBA.
- Working with executives to develop a strategic approach to privacy, data governance, and compliance requirements.
- Providing support for issues arising from cross-border data transfers, consent requirements, third party vendor risk, and strategic commercial relationships.
- Training employees on consistent privacy policies and practices across the organization.
- Directing privacy related investigations and coordinating privacy related responses.
- Supporting the marketing and data teams across multiple initiatives.
- Providing pragmatic day-to-day advice to minimize legal risks while advancing business interests and ensuring an excellent customer experience.
- Collaborating with the commercial agreements team to draft, negotiate, and advise on technology and other agreements with privacy and data protection implications.
- Drafting clear and concise guidance, policies, and notices.
- Implementing streamlined and thoughtful processes to ensure product compliance.
This is our ideal wishlist, but most people don’t check every box on every job description. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- Juris Doctorate degree or qualified to practice in relevant jurisdiction.
- 7 years of relevant experience in law firm and/or in-house legal departments.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Top performer with high integrity and a proven ability to function independently while exercising good judgment on when to seek guidance.
- Demonstrated ability to consistently deliver outstanding, thoughtful, user-experience focused results in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-starting, proactive, driven, adaptable person who can, with poise and patience, prioritize and manage multiple projects and recalibrate advice in view of shifting priorities, legal developments and risk tolerance.
- Experience working with financial services companies is a plus.
- This role is based in San Francisco, CA or Remote (Based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work hard, stay balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy Flexible Time Off + 12 holidays + Mental Health Days
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend and Cell Phone Stipend
Have some fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Womxn, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours and team bonding across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you’re remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self – we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- Work from home equipment stipend and co-working space subsidy
- Commuting stipend and catered breakfast, lunch and onsite barista for SF based Nerds
- Anniversary recognition program choose from different items and experiences
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!