Senior Network Architect at Thermo Fisher Scientific
Sr Network Architect
Location: Frederick MD US
Job iD: 74198596104970BR
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission-enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have a real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Sr. Network Architect will be part of the Network Architecture team, responsible for overall architecture and development of Thermo Fisher’s global network. This hands-on position will provide technical expertise regarding such things as SDN, Network automation, LAN / WAN, VPN, and Load-balancing technologies within a Hybrid Cloud Infrastructure. The position will also act as a top level technical escalation point for complex network issues.
Network Architect experienced in design, implementation, and support of a large scale Hybrid Cloud environment. This hands-on position will provide technical expertise regarding such things as SDN, Network automation, LAN / WAN, VPN, and Load-balancing technologies within a Hybrid Cloud Infrastructure.
- Assess customer objectives, goals, intents, requirements, standards, etc. and re-craft these multifaceted constituents to re-state the problem and translate into network management objectives and requirements.
- Assess industry trends and emerging technologies that increases the use of automation (such as machine learning and artificial intelligence) for human over the loop operation
- Applies deep experience and knowledge in identifying, assessing and recommending solutions that leverage the latest trends in technologies and practices.
- Applies knowledge of Software Defined Networks and NetDevOps in the development of a network management operational concept.
- Enhances organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Develops trade-off alternatives evaluating make-buy feasibility by performing concept exploration using established trade-off techniques to identify the best solution inclusive of cost, schedule, function, performance, security, and risk using figures of merit.
- Develops realistic use cases and scenarios that the program will encounter and tests various solutions performing proof of concept demonstrations or experiments.
- Works with and supports the architecture team in evaluating architecture solutions and creates models of the target architecture alternatives to study the positive/negative effects.
- Verifies conformance of the design to specification requirements and the established baseline.
- Produces engineering work products for the system under design to include: network management hardware, software/platforms, systems, sparing plans, operational parameters, specifications, plans and reports.
- Identifies and quantifies risks and develops mitigation strategies.
- Develops transformation strategies, plans and processes for migration from a legacy environment and for co-evolving components of systems and their integration.
- Establishes the bills of material (BOM) baseline for software and hardware and defines the inventory management control system.
- Establishes reliability, maintainability and availability objectives and works with concurrent engineering disciplines to define solutions to meet these objectives.
- Support system integration, test, acceptance and operations/maintenance during all phases of a program.
- Conducts system requirements reviews, design reviews, preliminary and critical design reviews with concurrent engineering teams and contractors to monitor and measure the progress of a network or system being designed.
- Enhances engineering team accomplishments and competence by planning delivery of solutions; answering technical and procedural questions for less experienced team members; teaching improved processes; mentoring team members.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or similar discipline required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Excellent communication and writing skills to work with all levels of an organization
- Proficiency in Python
- Experience with AWS and other cloud providers
- Experience developing using APIs and web services like SOAP and REST
- Experience with expect scripting
- Understanding of Git
- Thorough understanding of network technologies and services like routing and switching, DNS, firewalls, and load balancers
- Experience using Linux and basic Linux systems administration skills
- Experience implementing a continuous integration (CI) and continuous deployment (CD) pipeline
- Knowledge of container management and orchestration tools
- Familiarity with security fundamentals at the infrastructure, including cloud or hypervisor, and operating system level
- Automate select network operation tasks through creation and maintenance of tools.
- Be part of the team that shapes the Automation future in Network Operations
- Deliver simple, sustainable and repeatable solutions and processes.
- Work closely with our Network Engineering teams to ensure fast, smooth roll-out of new designs and products.
- Drive standards across the network and ensure that we are fully compliant to those standards and policies.
- Collaborate with level two and level-three resolvers Identify and troubleshoot recurring platform issues.
- Create and review documentation and process regarding recurring issues, new standard operating procedures, knowledge transfer material, etc.
- Automate select network administration tasks through creation and maintenance of scripts and tools
- Mentor more junior staff in network automation, including involvement in the formulation of a structured training plan
This position can be based anywhere in the US.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!