Senior Manager of Employee Relations at Fastly
Title: Senior Manager of Employee Relations
- Location: US (Remote)
Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We’re building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Senior Manager of Employee Relations
Fastly’s Sr Manager of Employee Relations is a high-impact opportunity that will help shape the culture and future of the company.
As Sr Manager of Employee Relations, you will architect policies and practices that enable us to navigate complex employee situations ranging from workplace conflicts, performance issues, complaints and investigations – at scale with equity in mind. You will help us adopt a more proactive, data-driven approach to organizational health issues with dual focus on manager education and employee advocacy.
You will provide leadership and guidance to the People teams, as well as across the business, on a global scale, to ensure employment matters are effectively managed and the appropriate policies and practices are in place to facilitate consistency, fairness and objectivity. You will collaborate internally to resolve employee relations matters and make sure that concerns and challenges are handled in a responsive, sensitive and fair manner. You will partner with HR and legal teams to create and implement standard approaches, processes and resources for employee relations and workplace compliance.
You will have a unique vantage point within the company to identify patterns and recurring issues and make recommendations to improve organizational effectiveness. You will be counted on to recognize opportunities where we can build skills and capabilities across the organization. This role is crucial to helping the organization take proactive measures to increase manager effectiveness, improve employee experience, and increase trust within the organization.
This role reports to the VP, People Operations, Strategy & Transformation
What You’ll Do
- Serve as subject matter expert, provide guidance and develop best practices in employee relations and workplace compliance.Develop resources and tools for Fastly’s People team to manage various aspects of employment and compliance
- Define and lead the team in strategy and execution of organizational changes and performance-based exits (org changes, job eliminations and involuntary exits)
- Develop resources, tools and standards for employee relations, including employee counseling and engagement, documentation standards and practices, policy interpretation and application, performance management methodologies, investigations, and responses to other sensitive work-related issues.
- Provide expertise, guidance and coaching on preventing, addressing and resolving employee issues and with leaders, managers and HR partners.
- Drive accountability and operational excellence in everything we do from case management to delivering on priorities and projects
- Support the team as they build new skill sets (for example, conflict resolution, mediation, restorative justice) and grow expertise in understanding how bias impacts decisions and how we build processes to ensure equity
- Provide subject matter expertise in specialized regulatory areas globally (EEOC, ADA, OFCCP, FMLA, WARN Act, OSHA, FLSA, works council, etc.).
- Partner with the HR Ops, HRBP, I&D and L&D teams to design and deliver education and training on various employment matters such as FLSA, immigration, wage & hour, disabilities and accommodations, code of conduct/policy violations, performance management, etc.
- Improve upon existing employment policies; develop and draft new employment policies and document practices as needed.
- In partnership with Legal, design, develop and draft employee-facing and HR Compliance related policies and processes for both US and globally.
- Create communications, training materials, and other change management mechanisms to educate the company on new and revised policies, processes, and programs.
- Engage with internal and external legal partners on questions and issues.
- Respond to and investigate concerns and complaints; oversee investigations, and provide status and progress updates to VP, People and appropriate executives. Facilitate executive-level discussion on responding to complaints and proceeding actions. Engage external investigators for complex and/or highly sensitive cases, as appropriate.
- Ensure oversight and governance of policies and practices globally, including interpreting and apply understanding of corporate policies and practices, employment laws, and other regulations to provide advice, guidance, or clarification for Employee Relations inquiries
What We’re Looking For
- 10+ years progressive experience in employee relations, employment law and/or workplace compliance-related efforts for both small and larger, globally distributed organizations.Proven history of responding to and effectively resolving complex employee situations.
- Experienced in partnering with HR and legal teams to develop, design, and implement employment-related policies and programs.
- Expertise in U.S. and local (state-specific) employment law & regulations, including Title VII, ADEA, ADA, FLSA, FMLA, IRCA, EEOC, etc. Interest and motivation to learn and understand global HR compliance and practices.
- Expert analytical skills; uses data to form hypotheses, draw insights, form narratives, prioritize, and influence decisions.
- Strong business and people acumen, as well as consulting, conflict resolution and facilitation skills
- Demonstrated success in applying fresh, innovative thinking, data-driven and a growth mindset to long-standing, complex challenges/problems resulting in high impact outcomes
- Consultative approach; prior track record of successfully advising a variety of stakeholders and executives re: employee relations issues.
- Maintains objectivity, demonstrates empathy and exercises sound judgment in working through difficult, complex, and confidential issues.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to influence and communicate effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively self-manage, work collaboratively, prioritize competing priorities, and meet deliverables and timeframes.
- In depth understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion issues and how they apply to employee relations
- Demonstrated operational and process rigor and familiarity and comfort with HR related technology and tools/case management, preferable Salesforce, ServiceNow and Googledocs
- Familiarity with international work protections and entitlements (works council, trade unions, etc.). History of addressing employee relations cases across different regulatory environments
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
- We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful — every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!