Senior Legal Counsel, Product and Commercial at Shopify
Title: Senior Legal Counsel, Product and Commercial
- Location: Americas
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by design. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
Shopify is the world s fastest growing commerce platform, with no plans to slow down, powering over 1 million stores in more than 175 different countries. It takes a whole team of dedicated lawyers working behind the scenes to help Shopify create a platform that makes commerce better for everyone. Lawyers on our team must be able to apply their knowledge and experience to novel scenarios and provide the best possible advice on sometimes unprecedented legal issues, in ways that allow Shopify s business to stay agile and innovative. Every person on our team is committed to making commerce better for everyone, and it truly shows.
Within the Shopify Legal team, the Product and Commercial team s focus is supporting Shopify’s business teams by providing product counseling and negotiating agreements for procurement, inbound licensing, partnerships and product integrations. From providing legal support on innovative new products to negotiating with some of the biggest companies in the world, our work is challenging, varied and constantly evolving.
To be successful on our team, collaboration and engagement are key. Our team members regularly collaborate with each other and with internal stakeholders, effectively guiding business strategies and communicating legal risk. We build trust with the internal business team, and show up for our clients both proactively, to ensure our business teams don t run into problems, and reactively, when issues do come up.
Real talk: being a member of a fast-moving team doing cutting edge legal work is not always easy. That said, practicing at the top of your game with smart, dedicated and highly-engaged colleagues and clients is incredibly fulfilling and a great catalyst for personal growth.
We re looking for a curious, passionate and driven senior commercial lawyer, with experience and a strong interest in technology. You have to be a contracts geek, an effective and confident negotiator, with strong drafting skills and excellent attention to detail. You must have an aptitude for diving into the details of projects, whether it s data flows in cross-platform product integrations, product development in regulated spaces, or software tools that help us build and operate our platform. You must also be adept at using business acumen, creativity and collegiality (with both internal and external parties) to identify, explain and address legal risks in a way that propels your client s business forward.
Success on our Product and Commercial legal team requires intellect, humility and a sense of humour. You need to take the work seriously, but not take yourself too seriously. You also need to be comfortable with being uncomfortable, able to work with many different types of personalities, really connect with people, and work as a team player. Above all, you must have grit: the ability to persevere in the face of adversity, deal with being challenged, and come through the other side stronger and with your optimism intact, ready to do it all over again.
Requirements for the role
- A J.D. or LL.B.
- A license to practice law in any common law province in Canada or any U.S. state.
- Relevant legal experience, ideally having started out at a top-tier law firm, followed by in-house experience.
- Substantial experience drafting and negotiating complex legal agreements, such as strategic partnerships, goods and services, software and other licensing arrangements, including those related to SaaS and other cloud-based services, API, SDK and other technology-related offerings.
- Substantial experience providing legal counsel on new product developments, including drafting terms of service and associated policies.
- Experience leading and managing projects, and managing multiple priorities, stakeholders and deadlines.
- A keen interest in creative legal problem solving, including researching novel and ambiguous areas of law.
- Experience managing external legal counsel.
- The ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and on an individual basis, without a lot of guidance or oversight.
- Exceptional business judgement and relationship-building skills.
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills.
- The ability to thrive in a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Please address your cover letter to Mary-Jane Richards, Associate General Counsel, Commercial.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!