Senior Kernel Build Automation Engineer at Canonical
Title: Senior Kernel Build Automation Engineer
Location: Home based – Worldwide
Ubuntu Linux is one of the most widely used Linux distributions in the world today and one of the top contributing factors to its popularity is its wide availability and ease of installation. Canonical, the publisher of Ubuntu Linux, is seeking a senior software engineer to lead an initiative to take the configuration and build of the Ubuntu Linux kernel to a new level of simplicity and automation to make it even easier to distribute to clients tailored to their specific system needs.
We are looking for an industry veteran who has been there, done that’ across a broad range of the software stack and is able to draw on that experience to guide this new effort. You will be expected to take charge of the implementation from concept through delivery and strong leadership skills are a must along with a tenacious commitment to detail and strict adherence to project schedules.
While this role does not require previous Linux kernel internals development experience (although that would be highly regarded), a more in-depth grasp of the build system beyond typing make’ on the command line is essential. Advanced git usage and kernel patching experience will also be critical to the role.
What you’ll do
- Lead the design and implementation of an advanced automated Linux build control system
- Work closely with other engineering teams to deploy seamlessly into the Canonical ecosystem
- Have no fear in delving into the depths of kbuild, kconfig, and make to determine the optimal solution to issues faced
- Be eager to propose innovative solutions to kernel build roadblocks and drive acceptance to upstream
- Ensure an ongoing commitment to industry-leading quality, reliability and security standards
- Work from home with global travel up to 20% for internal and external events
Who you are
- Demonstrated experience in patching and configuration of the Linux kernel. A strong working knowledge of kconfig and git will be required.
- Undeniable leadership skills, having driven a project from inception to delivery
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both written and oral
- Understanding of agile software development methodologies
- Earned a bachelor’s (or equivalent university level) degree, preferably in a technology field
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity we will give your application fair consideration.