Senior iOS Engineer at Sendwave
Location: Belgium; Canada; Costa Rica; France; Germany; Kenya; Poland; Senegal; United Kingdom; US Locations; 100% Remote
Who we are
Sendwave is on a mission to make sending funds to loved ones as easy and affordable as sending a text. What makes us stand out in a sea of similar apps? We deeply care about the diasporas and communities we serve — and that comes with a sense of connection to the markets we operate in. We strive to make life better for everyone who touches our product. That means recognizing and honoring the human experience behind sending money. We do that by remaining fee-free in most of our markets and offering round-the-clock customer care.
Our app is currently available in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and parts of Europe, and sends funds to 19 receiving countries for over 500,000 users. We currently have a 4.6-star rating on Trustpilot — people put their faith in us to deliver their money quickly, securely, and affordably. And we’re pretty darn proud of that.
How we work
What we’re most proud of though is our brilliant, creative, and tenacious team. Our remote-first workplace means you’ll be working with Sendwavers in Europe, Africa, South America, and the U.S. that all share a core set of Sendwave values. What exactly are those values? Glad you asked.
- Prioritize fearlessly.
There will always be more problems to solve and opportunities to pursue than we have the capacity for. We’re not afraid to say no and are willing to let fires burn, knowing that to win we must discern and execute decisively on the vital few rather than the important many.
- Take full ownership of the outcomes we’re responsible for.
Our job is not to do what we can to solve a problem. It’s to ensure that problem is solved. If an attempt to solve a problem doesn’t work, we seek an alternative. If we need help, we request it, and, if necessary, demand it.
- Forge a diverse team and inclusive culture.
We believe the challenges we’re addressing will be best met by a truly global, diverse team, working together. We’re not naive to the systemic bias and discrimination that make this easier said than done, so we check our egos, listen deeply, and measure progress towards making this a fundamental part of our success.
- Maximize our rate of learning.
We view projects as ever-evolving drafts and welcome opportunities to discover that what we had in mind won’t work so we can move to an even better end state. Most importantly, we do this fast. The faster we run these loops — as a company and individuals — the faster we’ll achieve our mission.
- Embrace embarrassing honesty from ourselves and others.
We function best when we’re open and honest with one another — especially about our challenges and doubts. We lean into uncomfortable conversations and support our colleagues when they do the same.
- Maximize energy, not time spent.
We measure our own and others’ contributions by objectives reached, not time spent. Living a full life outside of work is necessary for high achievement over the long term.
Good to note: We are able to hire in Belgium, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Kenya, Poland, Senegal, UK, and US.
Your key area of focus
To achieve our mission, we need to make sure our app is easy to use — for every interaction, from signup to sending, to editing info, to resetting passwords. You’ll work closely with our Product team to fix highly impactful user problems, and A/B test interface changes — to make the experience even smoother and quicker. You’ll eventually become one of the primary code owners of our iOS app. You’ll also become a go-to person when another team member needs help with a difficult iOS problem. Beyond iOS you’ll be working across client and server, looking at the broader picture, providing end-to-end solutions.
In your first few months, you’ll…
- Advise other engineers on iOS development questions and challenges.
- Assist with prioritizing efforts to refactor existing code to use modern best practices.
- Supervise and oversee technical aspects of development projects.
- Work with other teams within Sendwave to solve business problems.
- Streamline in-app signup and verification flows.
- Set up A/B tests to measure the impact of your work.
- Help us build a top-tier referral program, to help users share their love of Sendwave with their friends.
What you bring to the table…
- 5 – 7 years professional experience as a full stack or mobile engineer.
- Significant experience working with iOS. You don’t need to have every detail of the iOS environment memorised — but should have a strong foundation, so you can figure out those details when needed.
- Familiarity with both Objective C and Swift.
- Work authorization for the country where your role is based.
Bonus points if you
- Have previously worked on a growth team.
- Care about users, and want to give them an improved, simpler experience.
- Are more of a “get it done” than a “perfectionist” type person — you value getting features into the hands of our users.
- Aren’t afraid to throw away code you wrote – because after testing, a flow you built doesn’t work as well as a different one.
- Easily communicate with non-technical team members, and can translate their feedback into code.
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination
- Adjust quickly and effectively to shifting priorities, conditions, complexity and change.
- Have hands-on experience with Python or Android.
The benefits and perks you’ll enjoy…
- Convenient, remote working. Sendwave is 100% remote.
- Subsidized health insurance and pension contribution-matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave, and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- Upto $10,000 annual charitable donation-matching
- Significant equity
And best of all:
- Our team of over 400 employees, fully distributed across the world. We are working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- Proud parents, community organizers, farmers, play in bands, teach yoga, YouTube influencers, former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili, Wolof, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish and Swedish.
- Our new collaborators at WorldRemit, another remittance company. We recently joined forces, and we’re excited about the ways we can continue to provide the best service to our users.
Ready to apply?
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume along with a cover letter highlighting why your experience demonstrates you meet the requirements of the role. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we’ll let you in on a secret: there’s no such thing as a ‘perfect’ candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up every day.