Senior Genomics Data Scientist at Ancestry.com
Senior Genomics Data Scientist
Category DNA Sciences
When you join Ancestry, you join a human-centered company where every person’s story is important. We believe that by discovering the struggles and triumphs of our past, we can foster deeper bonds and more meaningful connections among families and communities. Our talented team of scientists, engineers, genealogists, historians, and storytellers is dedicated to empowering customers around the world from all backgrounds on their journeys of personal discovery.
With more than 30+ billion digitized global historical records, 100+ million family trees, and 20+ million people in our growing AncestryDNA database, Ancestry helps customers discover their family story and gain a new level of understanding about their lives. Passionate about dedicating your work to enriching people’s lives? You belong at Ancestry.
AncestryDNA is looking for a Senior Computational Biologist to join our Computational Genomics team. As a Senior Scientist, you will work with our enthusiastic team of data scientists, population geneticists, and statisticians to help customers better understand their origins. You will mine large datasets and develop computational methods that connect people to genomic and phenotypic insights. Our Senior Computational Biologist reports to the Senior Manager of Computational Genomics.
What You Will Do:
- You will work with our excellent team of data scientists, population geneticists, and statisticians.
- You will mine large datasets and run analyses to understand populations, their phenotypes, and their DNA sharing patterns.
- You will build tools to connect genomics to insights about individuals and populations.
- You will work cross functionally to guide the launch of your models onto the website.
Who You Are:
- You have a PhD in computational biology, biostatistics, population geography or a related field with an emphasis in computational science.
- You have a minimum 2+ years of experience working in computational research outside of your PhD.
- You have experience performing association analyses in multiethnic populations. (e.g.: GWAS, linkage studies, gene burden tests, or genetic risk scores in related or unrelated populations)
- You develop novel approaches to complex problems
- You are proficient in programming to implement and validate new approaches, in Python, C++, Java, or R.
- You have experience creating rigorous research approaches to uncover new insights into data.
- You have excellent communication and project management skills.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.