Senior Full-Stack Developer – Canada at NiceJob
**Takes one minute to apply & you can interview right away – no cover letter required!**
Note that remote applicants must be remote from Canada or otherwise have a Canadian SIN number.
Something made you click on this job post. Whether you’re unemployed, unhappy in your current role, or just looking for a new challenge, this job description is for you.
We’re here to help!
But first, a little about us.
NiceJob is the easiest way for local businesses to get the reputation they deserve. Our software gets you more reviews, referrals and sales, through automating your reputation marketing. We believe that if you’re good at something, your work should just speak for itself. You shouldn’t also have to be a marketing expert to get customers for it.We want to become the leading reputation marketing platform globally, through creating products that ensure that great work never goes unrecognized, unappreciated or unrewarded.
Since January 2018 (when we were just 2 employees, the Founder leading product and the Director of Growth leading… well… growth), NiceJob has grown to nearly $2 million in annual recurring revenue. We now have 20 staff, have been listed as one of the fastest growing tech companies in BC, and were recognized as a top 2 startup by New Ventures BC. All without any outside funding, purely our own revenue, of which is cash-flow positive.
When you’re offered a seat on a rocket ship, normally you don’t ask what seat, you just get on. But here at NiceJob, we look for incredible talent at every level, hiring people who are looking for careers, not jobs. Innovation is our blood, and we’re redefining what it means to grow and market a business. We’re building a world where the businesses that truly care about their customers and do great work will win over those that don’t.
Want your seat? Read on below.
Need more convincing? Learn more about careers at NiceJob here: https://get.nicejob.co/careers
The Role. The Goal.
It’s very simple. We need someone who can help with…
- Increasing code quality, decreasing time to market for roadmapped features, new feature ideas and execution, and contributions to key features and products.
Keep in mind, these are entirely subject to change based on where you get the most results. It’s a startup. You have to be adaptable and we’re open to that. Here goes:
You will be developing and exercising your skills in…
- Event driven architecture
- React.js and React Native
- NoSQL & SQL
- Testing Driven Design
- Machine Learning
- Sentiment Analysis
- Google Cloud Platform (PubSub, BigTable + BigQuery, App Engine, etc.)
You’ll need to be eager and ready to work hard. We’re moving fast, and that means doing a lot more in less time. Still, work-life balance is important so you won’t be taking on more than is reasonable to accomplish within normal working hours.
Who you’ll be working with
Check out the other members of the engineering team here.
Learn more about the engineering team here: https://get.nicejob.co/careers/engineering
What’s In It For You
Unless you’re looking to volunteer (hey, free labor is always appreciated), here’s what you’ll get.
- 💰 $75,000 – $100,000 depending on experience
- 📈 0.1%-0.2% Equity (ownership in the company via stock options)
- 🛋Flexible work hours out of our Gastown office (up to 30% at home after 3 month probation)
- 🏝Unlimited paid vacation with an enforced 2 week minimum
- 💥 Ability to make an impact
- 😎 Fast-track career path to management, depending on interest/abilities (as we grow, new hires in these fields will more often report to existing employees)
- 🎉 We’re fun. We’re friendly. What more could you ask for. 😉
- 😍 You’ll get to help people, and people will help you. We all genuinely care and are passionate about helping other people more than just ourselves.
- 🏆 You’ll be recognized and respected because we’re a company devoted to helping get the reputation they deserve. That means you too.
- 🌎 We’re proud to have a diverse team. Over half of our staff in office are women, and our team comes from all walks of life, different countries, ethnicities, ages, languages and experiences.
- 🎓 Strong employee development (mentorship) with others from top universities and brilliant self-taught learner, in a culture of humility.
- 👑 Hierarchy Schmhierarchy. We let you be your own boss here, we’re just here to keep you on track and give direction. You’ll Also get to work closely with the leadership team.
You can learn more about our culture here on our 16 page culture outline.
You can also learn more about life at NiceJob and other tech startup jobs we have open here.
There’s no cookie cutter model of the perfect applicant, so anyone can apply.
As long as you think you have either the necessary skills, or the ability to learn them very quickly to do this role, you’re good. We care about your ability to execute, not your experience – though it certainly can be an indicator, especially your past projects. There are some requirements however.
That said, if this role is local, you must be legally allowed to work in Canada, with the intent of staying local for the long term.
The ideal candidate is probably someone who…:
- Is looking for a company to grow with, who plans to stick around for the long term in Vancouver (and reap all the benefits that entails)
- Could be described as intuitive, data-driven, creative, professional, strategic & smart, friendly, independent, thoughtful
- Is someone who loves to write code and wants to create the next generation of socially impactful software
- Has a strong written and verbal communication skills, and emotional intelligence
- Is as excited and passionate about the products we’re making as we are
- Has a willingness and ability to learn quickly, and hit the ground sprinting from day one
- Has a Bachelor’s degree or greater (or other education/proof of knowledge) in a related/relevant field
- Would rather write code than manage developers
- Is willing to take risks, but is not reckless, and thinks before they act.
- Full-stack development
- Pushing to code production
- Any cloud platform experience (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Node.js (or a lot of experience in a similar language like Python or GoLang )
Proof of completed projects using the above skills will be required.
Other experience we’d love to see…:
- Google Cloud
- React Native
- Machine learning
- Event-driven architecture
Want to learn more about the Engineering team here at NiceJob? Find everything you’d want to know here:
Training and Your First Month
We may be a startup, but we’re not just going to throw you into the deep end and expect you to swim. We’ll give you floaties too. 😉
Jokes aside, here’s what’s in store for you:
- Pre-start date: You’ll go over some material about the company and our product, which we’ll discuss once you start.
- First week: You’ll spend your time learning the product, our industry, and, depending on your role, talking with customers to learn what makes them tick. You’ll use this info to help formulate a plan moving forward in week 2.
- Second week: You’ll begin any occupational skills training we have for you. We’ll run you through our existing systems, processes, what’s worked so far and what hasn’t, and your team leader will work with you to develop a plan moving forward.
- Third week: You’ll be starting to work on executing on easy wins to test the waters and put your plan in place. You’ll be mostly independent by this point.
- Fourth week and beyond: You’ll put your plan into place, and we’ll see what happens! You’ll be given the autonomy to make decisions, but will be held accountable to the results as well.
You Can Interview Immediately
It takes one minute to apply & you can interview right away – no cover letter required!
1. Apply with your resume:
- We’ll have our systems analyze it, and if it looks like you’re a good fit, you’ll instantly be emailed step 2.
2. Motivation/Goal Fit Video Interview:
- We’ll ask you a few questions about who you are and why you’d like to join us. Record your video responses and we’ll check them out ASAP. Don’t worry about dressing up.
3. Culture Add Video Interview:
- If your initial videos look good, we’ll invite you to do a second round of video interview questions to see if you’d be a good culture fit for the company.
4. In-Office Introductions:
- If you make it this far, it’s time we really got to know each other! You’ll come to see if you like our Gastown office and we’ll sit down and have a chat together. Hopefully you’ll be our next team member!
Read about how our hiring process works here: https://get.nicejob.co/careers#interview-process
Proudly an Equal Opportunities Employer
At NiceJob, we don’t just accept diversity — we celebrate it, we encourage it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community.
We are committed to fostering belonging through a diverse and inclusive workplace.
- We do not discriminate against any race, gender, religious affiliation, ethnicity or any other demographic – instead, we celebrate diversity.
- We don’t ask or pay people based on what they used to make. We pay people what they’re worth. To resolve this, we benchmark positions against industry rates and then beat them to attract and retain the best talent.
- Lastly, we hire for culture add, not culture fit so that we can gain unique skills, viewpoints, and ultimately innovation.
Still not sold? Read our reviews.
What are you waiting for, apply now!
Location: Vancouver, BC
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!