Senior Front-end Engineer at Zappyride
Location: US Locations Only; 100% Remote
A growing start-up in the electric car space needs YOU to help design and build web-based calculators for electric vehicles
ZappyRide is a software start-up focused on making electric vehicles (EVs) more accessible to consumers and businesses. We are based in New York City, and work with clients all over the United States and Canada. Our target demographic are electric utilities (PG&E), automakers (Ford) and leading non-profits (Plug In America) to make electric cars a reality.
We were early to see the EV transition, and with EVs making only a small fraction of vehicles in the US, think it’s just the beginning. As a 3-year-old startup, we have achieved product-market fit and our sales pipeline is strong. We currently have a team of 15 FTEs, mostly engineers and data analysts.
We strive to find the right balance of new and proven technologies in software design. Our tech stack uses Java, React.js, PHP, and an AWS infrastructure. The user experience is at the forefront of how we create intuitive and innovative products that people love. We strive to learn and understand our users’ needs, behaviors, and emotions to gather insights that inform product strategy and design. Our UX teams include designers, researchers, content strategists, and engineers who are passionate about quality, usability, and simplicity.
Our products focus on helping users make the right decisions around Electric Vehicles (EVs), and much of it is through calculations, such as:
- Total cost of ownership (TCO) of a vehicle
- Trip planning and time to charge EVs
- Cost of charging infrastructure
- Impact of EVs on electric bill
- Business case for fleet electrification
Web Product Design and Deployment
- Build React.js-based web platforms for our clients
- Standardize work practices for our front-end work
- Work closely with clients, our client manager and our UI/UX designer to deliver on scope, timeline and budget
- Work closely with our Director of Engineer to ensure smooth deployment and integration into the ZappyRide software ecosystem
- Contribute to user testing efforts
- Stay abreast of the state of technology, especially React.js
How We Work
At ZappyRide, our work culture emphasizes:
- High professional standards. We aim to make great products in order to have a massive impact on the electric vehicle space. That includes giving world-class treatment to our clients.
- Individual autonomy. We let you run. We minimize meetings and have no problem with remote work.
- Flexibility. The electric car industry is new and requires new thinking. There are many hard problems to solve, and our team has the right mix of creativity and realism to succeed.
You’ll work on cutting-edge problems, have a positive impact on the world and the environment, and have access to accomplished mentors who will guide your professional development.
This is the opposite of a 9-5 corporate job. You will work hard, be challenged, but also have a lot of independence, and heavily influence the trajectory of the company.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, HCI, or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years of implementing and testing mobile-first and responsive front-end development
- Extensive knowledge of the DOM, HTTP, CSS3 (e.g., Flexbox, Grid) and core web technology concepts
- Ability to deep dive into specific client-side areas, like performance, cross-browser compatibility, animations and accessibility
- Experience with disciplined software engineering (test driven design, automated testing, code reviews)
- Strong communication skills when talking about technical concepts
- Has ambition to “make a dent” in the auto/clean energy industry and is interested in investing time to constantly improve as a professional
- Thrives in a company culture where high performance is recognized, and low performers are asked to step aside
Why Take This Job?
You will work on interesting problems in a fast-growing industry.
You will have a positive impact on people’s quality of life, the local and global environment, and indirectly reduce oil-related geopolitical conflicts.
You will work with smart, driven people – both within our team and with clients.
You will have the ability to make the job fit with your other commitments – working remote is OK, even encouraged.
Base Salary: $130k (negotiable)
Remote or in-office
Benefits: Health, vision, dental, 401(k) with company match, generous vacation policy
Potential equity stake depending on seniority
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!