Senior Editor, Fiction at Wattpad
Senior Editor, Fiction (Contract)
Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Wattpad Labs, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
Wattpad WEBTOON Studios is seeking a Senior Editor, Fiction (Contract) to join the innovative and collaborative team in its Books Division’s Editorial Department working across both the Wattpad Books and W by Wattpad Books imprints. Reporting to the Publishing Director, the Senior Editor will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of a robust editorial program of approximately 40 titles per year.
This is a six-month contract role, and is open to remote applicants across North America.
What you’ll be doing:
- Work directly with creators and Wattpad Talent Management to ensure that projects are executed to a high standard and are delivered on schedule and in compliance with publisher requirements.
- Manage the day-to-day editorial operations of the Wattpad Books lists (Wattpad Books, W by Wattpad Books), including freelance editors if needed.
- Effectively manage all key editorial work for at least 60% of the list, approx 24 titles per year (structural, line edits)
- Understand how to engage with and form actionable insights from our data to improve our book content, grow our audience, and deliver final projects that will excite our Wattpad audience, and at the same time appeal to the traditional book market.
- Oversee administrative elements of the list including, but not limited to, title information sheets, cover briefs, back cover copy, metadata, and sales conference presentations
- Check promotional copy in items such as sell sheets, samplers, and other marketing materials to make sure they are consistent with the facts and spirit of the title.
- Ensure close attention to author care and support in collaboration with Talent Management.
- Ensure consistency of editorial quality across projects and work with an eye to streamline and update processes as needed.
- Mentor Associate Editor to continued success.
- Provide support to the Publishing Director as needed, for future acquisitions by providing reader reports, interpreting and forming actionable insights from our user data, and comp title analysis.
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a senior editorial role with a focus on successfully guiding to completion adult and young adult fiction projects.
- Knowledge of creative development stages and milestones in a publishing environment
- An innovative mindset and ability to find project that will excite our Wattpad audience and at the same time appeal to the traditional book market
- Ability to successfully write and edit high-quality copy and maintain continuity in assigned projects
- Ability to communicate and interact professionally with diverse clients, providers, and staff
- Proficiency with editing / track changes tools in both Word and Google programs
- Strong data literacy skills
- Proven track record of prioritizing multiple assignments, working well under pressure, and consistently meeting tight deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders across all levels of an organization
- Exceptional attention to detail and excellent editorial insights
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work proactively both as part of a team and autonomously as required
- Familiarity with Asana project management software is not required but is helpful
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- $200/month Transit and Home Office Allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, hybrid office and remote work options
- Corporate discount for gym membership for you and your family
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!
Due to the current state with COVID-19, Wattpad will conduct all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom. Our intention is to respect everybody’s need for safety and adherence to social distancing.
We also want to respect our team’s personal needs and capacity for professional commitments during this time; consequently our pace for the interviewing process might be impacted.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play…and all while having a great time.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!