Remote Senior Disability Specialist
- USA – Remote
- Full time
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world’s leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum’s financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum’s three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
This position is the third step in the career path for Long Duration claim representatives, and is responsible for handling higher indemnity, more complex claims or larger corporate accounts. The incumbent demonstrates well-developed claim skills, in-depth knowledge and familiarity with the claim systems as well as excellent customer service skills. In addition, the incumbent has demonstrated a higher level of proficiency and independence in all aspects of the claim management and decision-making process.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Carries a full caseload of complex claims requiring regular validation activities or large accounts. They display a thorough knowledge of disability products, policies and contracts and medical and vocational issues, financial and legal issues and claim department practices and procedures.
- Analyze and evaluate claim files to determine appropriate action steps.
- Undertakes a timely, accurate claims review, initiates appropriate claim validation activities, and recommends either initial approval of benefits or denial of the claim. Is able to effectively articulate rationale for action.
- Verifies on-going liability and develops strategies for resolution or return to work opportunities as appropriate.
- Provides excellent customer service by paying appropriate claims promptly and quickly responding to all inquiries.
- Protects the Company against extra-contractual liabilities by following established guidelines and regulations.
- May be responsible for assisting with the development of newer employees.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Four-year degree strongly preferred
- Two or three years as a Disability Benefits Specialist is preferred, or equivalent experience, with mastery of all key responsibilities of subordinate positions
- Excellent communication, verbal, written and listening and interpersonal skills
- Able to deal effectively and professionally with claimants, employers, medical personnel, attorneys and representatives, brokers/agents, regulators, etc.
- Exhibits negotiation skills and flexibility, as well as a high tolerance for ambiguous situations
- Highly developed knowledge of technical, medical, vocational and legal claims handling issues
- Possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.