Title: Senior Director, CEC Finance & Reporting
Location: Bethesda, MD, United States
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Job Desc: Marriott International is the worlds largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
Start Your Journey With Us
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
This position functions as the business discipline Senior Director with responsibility for directing the financial reporting of $450 million of expenses for the Customer Engagement Centers (CEC). Primary responsibilities include: directing the financial activities of 23 reservation centers, including analysis, budgeting, forecasting and reporting. Also responsible for CEC fund reporting that includes the Programs Services Fund (PSF) and Loyalty. Provide pro-active financial leadership across the CEC enterprise. Accountable for financial, legal, governmental and statutory reporting for international site reservation operations. Accountable for the accuracy of recording operating expenses, transfer pricing and cost recovery between legal entities and under the appropriate currency. Assist financial business partner with corporate finance projects and assignments. Directs financial support for division projects and business plans.
- Supports the implementation of the CEC locations annual business plan. Generates and reviews financial reports that are linked to the plan’s financial goals.
- Provides ongoing analytical support, e.g., monitoring the operating department’s actual and budgeted expenses and assists management in ensuring financial goals are met and opportunities are identified.
- Monitors spending of CAPEX funds on a daily basis in accordance with Marriott SOPs
- Identifies opportunities to decrease expenses and create value by challenging existing processes, encouraging innovation and driving necessary change. Openly shares own viewpoints even when they may be unpopular and encourages others to do so. Leverages strong functional leadership and communication skills to influence the management team and to lead own team.
- Help identify key projects and manage associated Capital Expenditure funds for product improvement and increased efficiency potential
- Advises the Global Reservation Sales leadership on existing and evolving operating/financial issues. Protects and strengthens our competitive advantage by advocating and supporting sound business and financial decision making.
- Communicates financial concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is easy to understand and drives desired results.
- Leverages technology and effectively uses information systems and tools to generate financial reports and provide GM’s and department managers with analytical support to drive decision-making.
- Directs the budgets and forecasting for 23 CEC locations, which include multiple departments and activities.
- Responsible for funding reporting for CEC, which includes PSF and Loyalty funding.
- Effectively directs the management of the day to day operation of the Accounting department to execute finance and accounting responsibilities for the reservation centers and other WWR operations and departments. Provides strong technical expertise and direction to support the development of the annual business plan, operating budget, forecasts, financial reports, capital expenditure budget and operating statements. Works through own team and influences department managers to ensure appropriate controls are in place to manage business risks.
- Supports the CEC executives in identifying opportunities to reduce expenses and monitor allocated expenses. Supports management team to ensure financial goals are met. Provides analytical support and decision-making tools to leadership team to help achieve desired business results
- Owns the accuracy and timeliness of multiple (PSGL and MIGL) general ledgers with over 125 departments across multiple legal entities recorded under multiple currencies under the responsibility of the position.
- Owns the accuracy and timeliness of the recording of operating expenses, cost recovery, and transfer pricing under the proper accounts, proper legal entity and under the proper currency for International CEC operations.
- Develops quarterly financial forecasts for 23 sites, in addition to forecasts for the three primary funding groups.
- Assist financial business partner with other discipline controllers and other finance leaders, VPs within Legal and other departments within Marriott.
- Generates quarterly operations reviews for senior management and Continent leadership.
- Leads the development of the annual operating budget for the 23 CEC sites with multiple departments and multiple activities.
- Shares forecast information with operations to enable team to react to changes in the business. Leads quarterly meetings to review information with management team. Provides forecast information to CEC leadership in a timely manner.
- Ensures accuracy in the recording of operating expenses, cost recovery and transfer pricing under the appropriate legal entity and under the appropriate currency.
- Analyzes financial data and produces accurate forecasts that enable operations to react to change in the business and meet to review information with the management team. Provides corporate recipients with forecast information in a timely manner.
- Maintains a strong accounting & operational control environment to safeguard assets and improve operations. Ensures compliance with standard and local operating procedures (SOP’s and LSOP’s).
- Champions the use of technology to create operational efficiency.
- Monitors systems to ensure accuracy of data and support the achievement of goals.
- Oversees internal, external and regulatory audit processes and ensures compliance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s)
- Reconciles balance sheet accounts and ensures account balances are supported by appropriate documentation in accordance with SOP’s.
- Ensures that the P&L is accurate and statements are delivered to appropriated individuals in a timely manner.
- Effectively leverages centralized accounting processes and shared services.
- Ensures tax rates used for sales/use tax are current and proper amounts are collected and/or accrued.
- Reviews audit issues and ensures appropriate corrections are made.
- Manages through people and reliable systems and processes. Assigns team members clear accountability to accomplish goals.
- Effectively manages General Sales Agents’ contracts through proper payments and data tracking for GSO VP’s
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with direct reports and the entire accounting team. Ensures direct reports do the same for their team.
- Ensures that regular on-going communication takes place throughout the Accounting Department to communicate daily activities, set expectations and create awareness of business objectives.
- Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review process and holds staff accountable for successful performance
- Champion leadership development and workforce planning priorities by personally assessing, selecting, retaining and developing diverse, high- caliber talent that can lead the organization today and strengthen the leadership bench for the future. Work with Human Resources to anticipate future talent needs based on business growth plans, and allocates resources appropriately.
- Perform other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
- Baccalaureate degree in Accounting, Finance or related discipline required; CPA or MBA preferred
- Eight + years’ experience in finance and accounting processes in a global organization; ideally in multiple-site call center environment
- Management experience in multiple site call center environment
- Experience in a management role; demonstrated success leading and developing a strong organization and workforce in a complex, service-intensive, deadline-driven environment.
- Experience leading and managing business initiatives and associated change.
- Ability to understand complex financial processes related to multiple legal entities and multiple currencies
- Experience in managing the accounting for large scale technology projects
- History of consistently delivering business results.
- Knowledge in generally accepted finance and accounting policies, principles and controls, as well as Marriott specific accounting and finance processes and systems.
- Able to orchestrate systemic change initiate, support and manage change within the organization, taking steps to remove barriers or to accelerate its pace.
- Strong business acumen, management skills, and service orientation.
- Able to consistently make decisions in a timely manner sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure. Comfortable challenging organizational norms and accepted thinking to improve effectiveness.
- Able to work in a matrix organization, partnering with resources to achieve results through others.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with a broad group of stakeholders in order to foster trust and influence key decisions.
- Exceptional communication skills to create an atmosphere in which information flows smoothly through the organization in a timely manner.
- Able to address difficult issues and guide others toward the accomplishment of identified, meaningful goals.
- Strong mediation skills to facilitate a constructive approach to dealing with conflict.
- Able to sell ideas persuasively, settling differences and winning concessions without damaging relationships; can be both direct and forceful while remaining diplomatic.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analysis skills; able to take large volumes of complex information and present it in a clear and concise manner to senior management, owners and franchisees; able to use data and a cogent problem solving methodology in decision making and impact assessment.
This position may be based at MIHQ in Bethesda, MD or remote
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.