Senior Design Director, Product
Location: NY, DC, SF, LA, Remote
Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. Vox Media’s networks and businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, and the Vox Media Podcast Network.
We’re taking what it means to be a designer in media to new heights by building a best-in-class cross-disciplinary design team at Vox Media, from our Product team that builds the best platform for digital publishing in the industry, to our brand team that works across a suite of powerhouse editorial networks, to our revenue team that designs beautiful ad products and partners with our sponsors. At Vox Media, you can be part of a remote friendly culture with people in New York, DC, San Francisco, Austin, New Orleans, and quite a few cities in between. Our jobs are well compensated and come with excellent and progressive benefits including flexible hours, generous paid parental leave, and trans-inclusive healthcare.
We’re looking for a design leader that can drive our Product Design team forward as we focus on the exciting challenge of turning our industry-leading publishing platform, Chorus, into a SaaS business. In this role, you will be leading a team of designers to build state of the art publishing tools and editorial experiences. The work on the Chorus team is ambitious and diverse. In 2019, we’ll be iterating and growing our suite of publishing tools, developing a robust design system to enable the most high-fidelity brand expression for our editorial networks and customers, and onboarding new customers onto our platform.
As a seasoned design leader, you thrive in environments of rapid growth and change. You also possess the strategic vision and relationship-building skills necessary to advance ambitious, forward-thinking design.
Candidates can be based out of any of our US-based Vox Media offices, or may work remotely from anywhere within the major US time zones (Eastern, Central, Mountain, Pacific).
What you’ll do
- Drive the design vision and strategy for the Product Design team, including our Chorus SaaS business, publishing platform and audience-facing editorial experiences.
- Work cross-functionally with partners on Product, Engineering, and Design to define big-picture goals, expectations, and timelines.
- Build a high-performing team by growing, leading, and mentoring a team of designers. You’ll set clear direction, provide guidance on strategy, and help your reports work towards their career goals.
- Be a strong, empathetic and thoughtful voice for our users and lead a design process that innovates through iteration and ensures consistent and predictable delivery of impactful user experiences that get measurable results.
- Partner with product and engineering leadership to ensure that teams are properly staffed and build a collaborative cross-disciplinary culture.
- Play an active role in building and maintaining a strong, inclusive organizational culture, ensuring employees are healthy, engaged, and empowered to build excellent products.
- Enforce and model the expected behaviors listed in our Code of Conduct.
- Work to build and nurture strong relationships with your stakeholders and partners.
- Actively participate in the Design Leadership team, contributing to the overall vision and direction of Design at Vox Media
What you’ll bring:
- 5-10 years experience leading a cross-disciplinary design team as part of a media company, software company, or digital agency.
- Thorough knowledge and experience leading a team through a product design process that results in high-performing digital products.
- Exceptional design skills and a strong original point of view with demonstrable high profile successes including but not limited to industry recognition, a track record of selling through work, working on advanced and complex projects with successful outcomes, and work that demonstrates innovation, fresh thinking, and strong visual design.
- Strong management skills that demonstrate trusted and effective leadership. Experience recruiting and creating a culture around inclusivity, diversity and high-performing design.
- Ability to thrive in an environment of rapid growth and lead a team through change. Comfortable working through times of ambiguity and within a matrixed organization.
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to drive forth an agenda. Skilled at forming strong relationships with partners and stakeholders.
- Strong command of current web design trends with a curiosity for new engineering practices and the ability to collaborate with engineering partners.
- A knowledge of the media or journalism space and experience working with editorial brands is desirable.
- An understanding of remote culture and how to lead a distributed team is a bonus.
Working at Vox Media
For more on the things we’re building and problems we’re solving, and what it’s like to work with the Product, Design & Technology teams, see our Product Team blog. In an effort to provide an inclusive and respectful working environment, all team members adhere to our code of conduct.
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.