Senior Database Administrator
USA – TN – Chattanooga
USA – ME – Portland
USA – Remote
USA – SC – Columbia
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world’s leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum’s financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum’s three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the U.S.
The Database Administrator (DBA) provides the technical leadership and is accountable for the operational oversight of database administration and managed data technologies in a complex and large scale Database Management Systems (DBMS) environment. The Database Administrator provides the operational support for the establishment of new managed data services as well as seeking service improvements and ensuring peak service operations with the security, stability, performance, backup and recovery of Unum managed data environment.
The Database Administrator performs installation, physical design, analysis, monitoring, administration, tuning, and upgrades for large-scale and complex environment and has demonstrated highly proficient foundation with the following aspects:
- Database Performance Monitoring
- Database Security and Monitoring
- Database Backup and Recovery Capabilities
- Database Replication Capabilities
- Database High Availability Capabilities
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages all operational technical aspects of database-related projects or prioritized business initiatives; analyzes systems, evaluates business requirements and develops action plans from a set of formally communicated specifications.
- Performs capacity and performance analysis to provide management with timely and accurate information predicting future resource requirements as well as ensuring database have sufficient current resource capacity (i.e., data storage, connections, memory, etc.).
- Operates and continuously monitors advanced database high availability service capabilities with clustering, mirroring, replication, and archiving of data.
- Demonstrates is able to work and be accountable in cross functional Agile (Kanban) teams on large corporate technology initiatives.
- Participates in continuous service delivery improvements for internal operations seeking discreet opportunities for automation of services or aspects of services.
- Schedules and performs maintenance on databases to keep them running at peak performance.
- Has a strong working knowledge of SQL constructs, features, performance and tuning.
- Creates and maintains physical database objects such as: tables, tablespaces, views, indexes, triggers, stored procedures ensuring data integrity, privatization and peak performance.
- Refreshes database environments as necessary.
- Proactively analyzes access patterns by business processes and makes appropriate tuning adjustments.
- Performs/schedules maintenance on databases to keep them running at peak performance
- Responsible for ITIL Service Management processes with Incident, Problem, Service Request, Change & Release Management with respect to defined service accountability.
- Develops, implements and tests database backup and recovery policies and procedures.
- Creates and maintains documentation for database policies, procedures, and processes.
- Has operational oversight for advanced database capabilities such as high availability and data replication.
- Has operational oversight for data privatization (i.e., data encryption, activity monitoring).
- Proactively and continuously looks to improve their technical skills with informal and formal training opportunities, keeping abreast of the database technical landscape
- Actively participates in an on-call rotation, one week on (evening and overnight hours) and multiple weeks off.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred, or 4+ years’ equivalent experience
- Experience in migrating from On Premises based databases to Cloud.
- Significant experience/depth (4-6 years) in application-dba-support for on-prem databases (SQL, DB2); as well as serverless cloud based databases (2-4 years).
- Experience interfacing with AppDev teams to change connect strings and troubleshoot connection/latency/query performance issues during migrations.
- Strong and practical hands-on experience deploying cloud-based database technologies (i.e., AWS Redshift and DynamoDB; MongoDB; Azure Cosmos DB; NoSQL; Azure SQL; Hadoop; and Data Lake technologies)
- Strong scripting skills (i.e., PowerShell, Bash) to design and implement operation automation
- Working knowledge of Corporate, Industry, Professional Standards, e.g., ITIL, and Agile (Kanban) methodology.
- Passion for cloud technologies and technical leader;
- Takes a logical, analytical approach to problem solving and pays close attention to detail
- Self motivated and results oriented; driven by innovation
- Demonstrates strong focus on quality delivery and delighting customers; holds self to high standards of delivery
- Demonstrates excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrates excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong team player with ability to effectively work within a broad based team with varieties of backgrounds across the organization.
- Promotes the development and exploitation of technical knowledge in the organization
- Has sufficient technical knowledge and practical experience to recommend direction on incident resolution and standard practices
- Rapidly wins respect from both clients/users and professional colleagues and develops a reputation for sound judgment and effectiveness in a variety of organizational cultures.
- Collaborates with team, peers, and other colleagues, sharing skills and expertise.