Senior Corporate Counsel at Bark & Co.
Senior Corporate Counsel
- New York, NY, Columbus, OH, Seattle, WA, Chicago, IL or remote
WHO ARE WE?
Our goal is keep Bark’s pups out of the doghouse by providing top-notch counsel and representation to all departments across the company. We impart industry-specific best practices relating to risk management, commercial contracts, regulatory compliance, business growth, strategic planning, corporate governance, code of ethics… ok, it’s a lot, but you get the point. Need a hand? Reach out! We’re well-trained and play well with others.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for that business-minded attorney who wants a broad in-house experience and is interested in working for every dog’s favorite company. This job is not for the faint of heart. You will be supporting and working across all businesses touching on a wide range of legal subjects. Get ready to roll up your sleeves and learn some new tricks and be more than just a lawyer answering legal questions. In this role, you have to understand the business in order to ensure that your advice and guidance helps the company achieve its goals.
- Work closely with the General Counsel and business leaders across the company to help shape and improve our legal process and help us continue to grow the business in a responsible and sustainable manner.
- Review, negotiate, and draft a wide range of commercial agreements including vendor agreements, supply agreements, logistics, NDAs, social media influencer contacts, contractor agreements, SaaS agreements, and many more.
- Collaborate with internal and external resources on regulatory and privacy matters, brand protection, IP work, employment issues, and disputes.
- Develop risk-management techniques and strategies.
- Propose proactive solutions and practical advice to help BARK continue to scale at pace.
- Assist with SEC compliance and corporate governance work.
- Work effectively and efficiently with outside counsel.
- Anticipate, investigate, and evaluate different legal and regulatory challenges that might affect our business.
- Stay curious and current about legal issues relevant to the business.
- JD from an ABA-accredited law school.
- 5-8 years of broad legal/generalist experience.
- Commercial contract experience is a must. We need someone who knows their way around a good legal document.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Ability to work quickly and handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to partner with internal business clients.
- Must be able to effectively triage and prioritize work.
- Sound business judgment and an ability to provide practical, effective legal advice.
- Ability to communicate legal issues in plain English.
- Willingness and ability to learn new skills.
- Responsive with a service-first attitude.
- Must be able to work independently while also being a good team player.
- Gets things done and has fun doing it.
- Must love dogs. Fluency in dog is a bonus!
- A sense of humor.
- Abundant curiosity.
- Some experience working in-house sure wouldn’t hurt.
- If you’ve worked for or represented clients in the pet industry or other CPG businesses, or if you’ve worked in e-commerce, we want to hear about it.
This position is a full-time, exempt position. You can work out of any of our offices or remote. We offer health insurance for both you and your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, cold brew on tap, and a dog to pet anytime you wish.
Here at BARK, we love dogs and their people. We’re looking to make all dogs happy throughout the entire world (we’re not kidding). Think Disney for dogs — we make magic for dogs and their people through our products, events, and experiences.
Our ambition level is high, the opportunity is huge, and our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly-themed subscription of all-natural treats and clever toys. Since then, we’ve shipped more than 70 million toys and treats to the dogs across the world and use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives and ways to make magic between dogs and their people. We’ve since expanded into other offerings as well, as we aim to become THE Dog Company for every family with a four-legged, belly-scratch-loving, interspecies family member.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!