Senior Backend Software Engineer
Boston HQ, Remote (US or Canada)
Who We Are
Pixability is a video advertising software company that uses data science to optimize large, complex campaigns across YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and Connected TV. The company’s industry-leading optimization and insights solutions are independently verified by the YouTube Measurement Program, the Facebook Marketing Partner Program, Oracle’s Data Cloud’s Moat Measurement, and other third parties. Pixability’s suite of solutions are used by the top media agencies and brands including Dentsu-Aegis, Havas, Interpublic Group, Omnicom, Publicis, and WPP, as well as Nintendo, Swatch, Ford, KIND, L’Oréal, and Puma.
Our Award-Winning Culture
Our team is the heart of our culture. We value innovation, collaboration and curiosity with a passion for getting things done. We strive to hire and cultivate the best employees, and foster a culture of open communication and transparency. We are driven and hard-working, but also committed to having fun along the way with weekly catered lunches and happy hours, team outings, and flexible paid time off. We’re proud to have been named the Global Leader in Video Innovation in the Google Premier Partner Awards (2017), as well as one of Boston’s Coolest Companies by BostInno (2017), and listed on the Inc. 5000 for four consecutive years.
Who You Are
We’re truly lucky to have a team of developers who are constantly creating. Whether they’re building out state of the art, highly performant SaaS applications or crazy new tools, they’re working with folks from across the entire company to bring our brand to life in fun, helpful, and more human ways. To make that magic happen, we need someone who can take on each project – large and small – while using their own development expertise. This is where you come in.
You’ll report to the Team Lead, Backend Engineering and work closely with the other engineering teams. You’ll work with a number of cutting-edge technologies while architecting and developing solutions in the areas of distributed performance computing, data processing, and analytics. As a member of the larger Engineering team, this role requires a high level of organization, sociability, creativity, and resourcefulness.
What You Bring to the Party
- 5+ years of experience building backend software
- Successful track record working at a startup or a small company (agile & dynamic, wearing many hats, excited to build something new and cool, etc.)
- Solid experience building backend software using a dynamic programming language (ideally Python, but Ruby and others are acceptable)
- Experience working inside the *nix command line environment
- Solid understanding of SQL, query performance considerations, schema design, and at least one ORM
- NoSQL technology such as ElasticSearch, DynamoDB, Hadoop
- Experience working with columnar storage technologies
- Relevant market exposure (Advertising, Marketing)
- Experience building Big Data ETL and M/R services
- Knowledge of best practices in the areas of scalable, distributed and redundant system architectures
- Exposure to SOA and microservices
- Mentoring/Management experience
Love for technology runs in our veins. We try to adhere to the best practices of SCRUM (see our tech blog posts on our Agile Morphing at The Pixel). Like clockwork, we conduct daily stand-ups, sprint review / demo meetings, and retrospectives. We hate thrashing. We want to build things the right way. We conduct backlog grooming meetings, early project reviews, and blue-sky design sessions. We collaborate very closely with both the Product Management team and the internal users of our software.
We believe in empowering engineers to come up with solutions (not just implement them). At the end of every sprint, engineers demonstrate what they have built to the rest of the team, the Product Management team, and other department stakeholders. Our goal is to continue to innovate quickly while maintaining the highest levels of quality.
This position is 100% remote for those living outside of Boston, MA. Assistance is not available for those wishing to relocate.