Senior Backend Engineer – Growth at Codecademy
Title: Senior Backend Engineer: Growth
Location: New York, NY or Remote
We are NYC based but remote friendly!
Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. Almost a decade later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of about 200 distributed through North America and headquartered in SoHo, NYC. We’ve raised over $87.5m in venture capital funding from top investors including Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Owl Ventures, Union Square Ventures, Y Combinator, and more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year and helps them lead better lives, join us!
This team is focused on experimentation, growth, and testing to help make lasting changes to our B2C business across the globe. The team will help grow our business by understanding what sets of offerings we want to present to our learners to help drive conversion (and ultimately get them to their learning goals). We are a new team with the opportunity to drive meaningful change at Codecademy!
If you’re passionate about getting more people excited to learn technical skills through our products, this is the team for you.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Work on a small, cross-functional team to create new projects weekly that drive growth and build the foundation for meaningful changes to our B2C business across the globe
- Partner and embed with our Engagement, Data Science, and Discovery teams to drive experimentation, growth, and A/B testing
- Through experimentation, help identify what set of offerings we can provide our learners to help drive conversion to paid customer growth
- Build a series of tests for our paywall, our pricing initiatives, and our packaging to test hypotheses about what serves our learners’ needs the best
- Have a deep sense of autonomy and ownership to help drive growth for the entire B2C business
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- A minimum of 5 years of experience developing web applications using Ruby on Rails and/or Go
- Experience with A/B testing, growth hacking, and working with counterparts in Data Science, Product, Design, and/or Business Ops
- Experience designing APIs from the ground up; comfortable with API design patterns (REST, RPC)
- A passion for testing best practices; can write unit tests in your favorite language with your eyes closed
- Experience working with both SQL and NoSQL databases. We currently use a combination of PostgreSQL, MongoDB, and Amazon Redshift
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT
- Experience with financial platforms doing integrations with Recurly, Stripe, Square, etc.
- Experience working with modern front-end frameworks and languages. We use React, Redux, Webpack, and Typescript
- Proven empathy for our users, such as a background in education or past experience using our site
- You love teaching people to code as a mentor, volunteer, writer, or teacher
- Familiarity with containerization technologies. We use Docker and Kubernetes extensively in development and production
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!