Senior Accountant at Calm.com
We have a simple mission at Calm: To make the world a happier and healthier place.
The heart of Calm is digital but the brand is expanding offline into a variety of products and services that bring more peace, clarity and perspective into people’s busy lives. We are building Calm into the Nike of the Mind. We believe Calm can become one of the most valuable and meaningful brands in the world.
Over 100 Million people have downloaded the app and we are growing by 100,000 new downloads a day. The company is profitable and headquartered in San Francisco, CA.
Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox).
About the Role
We are looking for a Senior Accountant who has a great understanding of accounting principles, ERP systems, experience with the general ledger functions, and the month-end/year-end close cycle. Experience working in both high growth and fast-paced start-ups and public companies will be extremely helpful. A strong work ethic, high professional standards, and the capacity to get things done independently are essential for this role.
What’s needed in this role is a passion for accounting operations and ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced and feedback-driven environment. We’re also looking for someone who is highly self-motivated, has a stellar work ethic, and is excited for the right company to support their career growth. If this sounds like a good opportunity, we’d love to meet you!
- Perform accounting close and reporting process, assuring that month-end close tasks and reconciliations are completed on the assigned due dates
- Support the preparation of month-end journal entries, reconciliations and supporting schedules (payroll, cash, accruals, prepaids, fixed assets, allocations)
- Participate in and contribute in the financial audit process including preparation of various audit requests and inquiries
- Contribute to the development of new or current accounting systems, programs and procedures
- Participate in the ongoing development/establishment of Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) documents for accounting policies and regulations
- Assist in the preparation of GAAP financial statements, including document preparation, data analysis, integrity validation and reconciliation processes
- Support the accounts payable process to ensure proper and consistent coding and timely payments for vendors and employee expenses
- Perform annual 1099 filings
- Own management of Inventory Accounting process
- Participate in developing and maintaining Internally Developed Software analysis
- Maintain Cease Use calculations and monthly accounting entries
- Experience with Sales and VAT tax calculations and submissions
- Work closely with Accounting Manager in general corporate accounting matters and ad hoc projects or requests
- Minimum 4 years of corporate accounting experience; Big 4 experience and/or CPA is a big plus
- Strong knowledge and application of GAAP accounting policies and practices
- Solid understanding of accounting life-cycle and all that it entails for startups, growing businesses, and public companies to succeed
- Strong analytical, verbal, and written communication skills
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills (vlookup, pivot tables, match, etc.)
- Minimum 2 years of working experience with NetSuite is strongly preferred
- Exceptional interpersonal skills for building collaborative relationships across all levels of the organization
- Excellent skills in accuracy, organization, and comfort working in a high-volume/fast-paced environment
- Ability to adapt to change, effectively manage multiple tasks/projects, and provide timely feedback and visibility while keeping management aware of key issues
- Ability and desire to work on PST hours
- Meticulous attention to detail and follow-through
- Experience with Bill.com and Expensify a plus
- Experience at a public company is a plus
Calm is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, both in our hiring practices and in our experiences as a Calm employee. We strive to create a mindful and respectful environment where everyone can bring their authentic self to work, and experience a culture that is free of harassment, racism, and discrimination.
Calm is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Calm is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Please inform Calm’s Recruiting team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!