Secondary Science Substitute Teacher at Pearson
Secondary Science Substitute Teacher, 2021-2022 School Year
Job Category: Teaching
Requisition Number: SECON12267
- Home-based, USA
Working from your secure and distraction-free home office, certified Substitute Teachers will virtually support the learning program for students in Connections Academy schools across the country. Using the telephone, Internet and various curriculum tools, the Substitute Teacher will consult frequently and regularly with students, Learning Coaches and school personnel to ensure that each child successfully completes his/her instructional program. The Secondary Science Substitute Teacher will act as teacher of record at various Connections Academy schools during periods of short- or long-term absences or vacancies ranging from, but not limited to, 2-20 weeks, with the average assignment being 8-12 weeks in length. This is a part-time position with no benefits.
The duties of a Substitute Teacher include, but are not limited to:
- When on assignment, be online and available to students, parents, and school staff Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm in the time zone of the school to:
- Communicate with parents, students and other teachers on a regular basis to develop and update individualized learning plans and schedules, provide feedback on student work, suggest instructional approaches and strategies, monitor completion of assignments, and verify student learning.
- Complete all grading, generate progress reports, and conduct parent conferences in a timely manner, as instructed by the school.
- Support the instructional program through a combination of synchronous and asynchronous web conferencing sessions (LiveLessons).
- Support students and parents with alternate instructional strategies, and assistance with daily assignments and projects.
- Keep student records and data up to date, including cumulative files, online student and family information, attendance accounting, and student logs.
- Work with counselors and special educators to ensure that individual student needs are met, providing frequent updates on student behaviors and activities in the classroom.
- When not on assignment, actively check email to remain informed of upcoming assignments and important Substitute Services updates.
- Meet at least monthly with an assigned Substitute Services supervisor via video conferencing software, whether on or off assignment.
- Complete required professional learning targeted at individual needs throughout the year.
- Maintain active certifications.
View this video for a brief overview of the position
- Highly qualified and certified to teach Secondary Science in any state.
- Multiple state certifications a plus
- Ability to obtain certification in other states as requested
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Maintain a dedicated, distraction-free home working environment where all business activities will occur.
- When on assignment, must be available Monday through Friday during assigned school hours (typically 8:00 am to 4:00 pm in the school’s time zone)
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast-paced environment that requires significant flexibility, effective prioritization of tasks, self-direction, and creativity
- Understanding of IEP/504 plans and how they can be implemented in a virtual setting
- Excellent attention to detail, and strong time management and organizational skills
- Proven commitment to student achievement
- Strong technology skills (experience with learning management systems, Microsoft Office programs, and Google Apps preferred)
- Reliable, high-speed internet access
- Microsoft OS- and Microsoft Office-equipped computer required (PC preferred)
- Customer-focused approach and team-player track record
- May not provide care for others during normal school hours while on assignment. Alternative care arrangements must be made
- May not be employed in another job during normal school hours while on assignment
- Complete required orientation and training programs within 30 days of hire, and at the beginning of each school year
- Ability to work occasional evening hours, as needed, to support some families